A walk-off defeat lead to the Stone Crabs splitting Sunday’s doubleheader against the Jupiter Hammerheads. The game when right down to the wire with the Stone Crabs losing 6-5 in the bottom of the seventh on a wild pitch.
Just like game one, the Stone Crabs jumped out to an early lead in the first inning. The Stone Crabs rally started by loading the bases. Tommy Coyle reached on an error, Johnny Field singled to left and Maxx Tissenbaum drew a walk to load the bags. Coyle scored after Tyler Goeddel hit into a double play. Field then scored on a single by Marty Gantt to give the Stone Crabs a 2-0 lead.
The Stone Crabs increased their lead with a pair of runs in the fourth. The inning got started with a solo home run by Granden Goetzman, his first as a Stone Crab. Luke Bailey followed with a double to right. Bailey advanced to third on a single by Juniel Querecuto and then scored on a wild pitch to increase the lead to 4-0.
Jupiter posted a big inning in the fifth to take the lead. They sent 10 men to the plate, resulting in 5 runs and a 5-4 lead.
The Stone Crabs tied the game in the top of the sixth. Querecuto reached on a force to put the tying run on the bases. He would eventually score on a sac fly by Tissenbaum to tie the game 5-5.
The Hammerheads won the game by scoring in the home half of the seventh. Matt Juengel and Blake Barber delivered back to back hits with one out to get the rally started. Juengel scored the winning run on a wild pitch to hand the Stone Crabs the 6-5 walk-off defeat.
Ryan Garton was charged with the loss. Sean Donatello was the winning pitcher for Jupiter.
The Stone Crabs return home to Charlotte Sports Park for a three game series against the St Lucie Mets. Jared Mortensen (0-1, 3.38) will start the opener against Michael Fulmer (6-10, 3.97) for St Lucie.
- Tommy Coyle (2B): 1 for 4 with a run scored
- Johnny Field (CF): 1 for 4 with a run scored
- Maxx Tissenbaum (C): 2 walks and an RBI
- Tyler Goeddel (3B): 1 for 4
- Marty Gantt (RF): 2 for 4
- Granden Goetzman (LF) 1 for 4 with a home run
- Luke Bailey (DH): 1 for 4 with a double and a run scored
- Jonathan Quinonez (1B): 0 for 1 with a walk
- Juniel Querecuto (SS): 1 for 3 with a run scored
- Jaime Schultz: 4 runs on 3 hits with 3 strikeouts and 4 walk in 4 1/3 innings
- Jose Molina: 1 run on 3 hits in 2/3 inning
- Ryan Garton (Loss, 5-2): 1 run on 3 hits in 1 1/3 inning