The Stone Crabs exchanged the lead back and forth all night with the Palm Beach Cardinals on Tuesday night at Charlotte Sports Park. Ten innings and several lead changes later it was the Stone Crabs who were looking at a 7-6 defeat in the series opener.
The Stone Crabs hit the ground running, scoring in the first inning. Johnny Field and Pat Leonard each drew a walk to put runners on the bases. Field later scored on a single by Tyler Goeddel to give the Stone Crabs a 1-0 lead.
Palm Beach matched the run and added another in the third inning. An RBI double by Greg Miclat and another by Luke Voit gave the Cardinals a 2-1 lead.
The Stone Crabs tied the game in the fourth on a solo home run by Marty Gantt, his fourth of the season.
The Stone Crabs regained the lead in the fifth inning. Tommy Coyle singled to right to get things going. But he won’t be on the bases long as Johnny Field homered to left center, his second homer of the season. But the Stone Crabs were not done as the very next batter, Maxx Tissenbaum drew a walk. He would later score on a single by Tyler Goeddel to give the Stone Crabs a 5-2 lead.
Palm Beach moved inched closer in the sixth as they added to the home run parade. Bruce Caldwell went deep to make it 5-3.
Palm Beach posted a three run inning of their own in the eighth to take back the lead. Two runs came on a field error and the third came on a deflected ground ball by Ildemaro Vargas to give the Cardinals a 6-5 lead.
Maxx Tissenbaum deposited an offering from Chris Perry into the bullpen in the bottom of the ninth to tie the game and force extra innings.
The game didn’t stay in extra innings long as the Cardinals scored in the top of the tenth. Mason Katz doubled to left and then scored on an RBI double by Vargas to give them a 7-6 lead.
The Stone Crabs put the tying run on the bases in the bottom of the tenth put failed to bring him home as they fell 7-6.
Marcus Jensen was charged with the loss for the Stone Crabs. Chris Perry earned the win and Corey Baker got the save for the Cardinals.
The series continues on Wednesday at Charlotte Sports Park. Reinaldo Lopez will get the start against Tyrell Jenkins for Palm Beach. It Is Sgt Wilson Tribute Night where the Stone Crabs will honor the fallen Charlotte County Sheriff’s deputy who lost his life in the line of duty last year.
- Tommy Coyle (2B): 1 for 5 with a run scored
- Johnny Field (CF): 2 for 4 with a double and a home run
- Maxx Tissenbaum (C): 1 for 4 with a home run
- Pat Leonard (1B): 1 for 3 with 2 walks
- Tyler Goeddel (3B): 2 for 5 with 2 RBI’s
- Marty Gantt (RF): 1 for 4 with a home run
- Luke Bailey (DH): 0 for 4 with a walk
- Juniel Querecuto (SS): 1 for 5
- Granden Goetzman (LF): 0 for 4
- Jared Mortensen: 2 runs on 6 hits with 6 strikeouts and 3 walks in 5 innings
- Ryan Garton: 3 runs on 1 hit with 2 walks and a strikeout
- Jose Molina: 1 run on 2 hits in 2/3 inning
- Nick Sawyer: 1 no-hit inning with 2 strikeouts and a walk
- Marcus Jensen (Loss, 5-6): 1 run on 2 hits in 1 inning