Shark Week may be dominating the television but at Charlotte Sports Park, the Stone Crab is mightier than the Hammerhead as the Stone Crabs defeated the Jupiter Hammerheads 5-3 on Monday night. The Stone Crabs used a big eighth inning to overcome a two run deficit and sweep the Hammerheads.
Jupiter got on the scoreboard first by pushing across a run in the opening frame. Matt Juengel singled home Justin Bohn to put the Hammerheads in front 1-0.
The Stone Crabs tied the game in the third. Tommy Coyle was hit by a pitch to give the Stone Crabs a baserunner with two outs. Coyle stole second and later advanced to third on a wild pitch. Maxx Tissenbaum plated the run with a single to right to tie the game.
Jupiter regained the lead in the fourth. Blake Barber drew a walk to lead off the inning. He then scored on a single by Bohn to give the Hammerheads a 2-1 lead.
Jupiter added an insurance run in the top of the eighth. Cody Keefer delivered the game’s first extra-base hit with a double to left. He later score on a double by Barber to increase the lead to 3-1.
The Stone Crabs fought back to take the lead in the bottom of the eighth. Coyle and Johnny Field singled to lead off the inning. Then an RBI single by Tissenbaum pulled the Stone Crabs to within striking distance. Pat Leonard then singled to center to load the bases. A sac fly by Sale scored Field to tie the game. An RBI double by Tyler Goeddel and an RBI single by Granden Goetzman put the Stone Crabs out in the lead 5-3.
Zach Cooper took over in the ninth, retiring the side while striking out two to ensure the Stone Crabs victory.
Jose Molina picked up his fifth win of the season while Cooper got the save. Brian Ellington was the losing pitcher for the Hammerheads.
The Stone Crabs welcome the Palm Beach Cardinals to Charlotte Sports Park for a three game series starting on Tuesday.
- Tommy Coyle (2B): 2 for 3 with 2 runs scored
- Johnny Field (CF): 1 for 3 with a walk and a run scored
- Maxx Tissenbaum (DH): 2 for 4 with 2 RBI’s and a run scored
- Pat Leonard (1B): 1 for 3 with a walk and a run scored
- Josh Sale (RF): 0 for 3 with an RBI
- Tyler Goeddel (3B): 1 for 4 with a double and a RBI
- Ariel Soriano (SS): 1 for 3 with a walk
- Jake DePew (C): 0 for 4
- Granden Goetzman (LF): 1 for 4 with an RBI
- Jaime Schultz: 1 run on 5 hits with 5 strikeouts and 2 walks in 3 innings
- Nick Sawyer: 1 run on 1 hit with a walk in 1 inning
- Kevin Brandt: 3 scoreless innings with 2 hits and a strikeout
- Jose Molina (Win, 5-5): 1 run on 2 hits in 1 inning
- Zach Cooper (Save, 5): 1 no-hit inning with 2 strikeouts