The GCL Rays took a three run lead into the last inning of Monday’s game against the GCL Twins but a nine run ninth by the Twins sent the Rays to a 14-9 defeat in the series opener.
The Rays took the lead in the first inning. A double by David Rodriguez scored Oscar Sanay and Zacrey Law to give the Rays a 2-0 lead.
The Twins cut the lead in half in the second inning. An RBI single by Frank Encarnacian made it 2-1.
The Twins tied the game in the fifth inning. Rafael Valera scored on a single by Zack Larson to tie the game.
The Twins took their first lead of the day by scoring a pair of runs in the seventh inning. An RBI single by Amaurys Minier and a sac fly by TJ White gave the Twins a 4-2 lead.
The Twins took advantage of a fielding error to add a run in the eighth to increase their lead to 5-2.
But the Rays grabbed the lead once again in the bottom of the eighth. The Rays loaded the bases with singles by Law, Rodriguez and Cade Gotta. Law scored on a fielding error on a Jose Rojas grounder for the first run of the inning. Matt Ford then doubled home Rodriguez and Gotta to tie the game. An RBI single by Christian Knott and a two run single by Oscar Sanay gave the Rays an 8-5 lead.
A huge ninth by the Twins gave them the lead for good. Five hits, three walks and a home run helped the Twins take a 14-8 lead.
The Rays added a run for good measure in the bottom of the ninth. A bases loaded walk to Bill Pujols scored Gotta but that was all they could gather as they fell 14-9.
Luis Nunez was charged with the loss for the Rays.
The series continues on Tuesday at the Lee County Sports Complex.
- Oscar Sanay (DH): 2 for 5 with an RBI and a run scored
- Zacrey Law (CF): 2 for 5 with 2 runs scored
- Matt Reida (3B): 0 for 5
- David Rodriguez (C): 3 for 5 with a double, 2 RBI’s and a run scored
- Cade Gotta (LF): 2 for 4 with 2 runs scored
- Jose Rojas (C): 0 for 5 with an RBI and a run scored
- Matt Ford (SS): 3 for 5 with a double, 2 RBI’s and a run scored
- Christian Knott (RF): 2 for 4 with an RBI and a run scored
- Bill Pujols (2B): 0 for 3 with a walk and an RBI
- Brock Burke: 1 runs on 1 hit with a strikeout and 2 walks in 2 innings
- Blake Bivens: 1 unearned run on 7 hits with a strikeout in 3 innings
- Abrahan Rodriguez: 2 runs on 5 hits with a strikeout in 2 innings
- Christopher Crisistomo: 1 unearned run on 1 hit with a walk in 1 inning
- Luis Nunez (Loss, 0-1): 7 runs on 3 hits with 4 walks in 2/3 inning
- Michael Velasquez: 2 runs on 2 hits with 1 strikeout in 1/3 inning