Determined to keep their momentum moving in the right direction, the Stone Crabs defeated the Jupiter Hammerheads 4-2 on Sunday at Charlotte Sports Park. The win ensures a series win against the Hammerheads.
The Stone Crabs jumped out to the lead in the second inning. Tyler Goeddel opened the inning with a triple to right. Marty Gantt drove Goeddel home with a single to center. A walk to Ariel Soriano and a single by Granden Goetzman loaded the bases for the Stone Crabs with only one out. Jonathan Quinonez hit an RBI single to score Gantt. Soriano then scored on a ground ball by Tommy Coyle to give the Stone Crabs a 3-0 lead.
The Stone Crabs added to their lead in the third. Josh Sale singled to right and later scored on an RBI double by Soriano to make it 4-0.
Jupiter got on the scoreboard in the fifth. An RBI double by Blake Barber scored Chad Wallach to give the Hammerheads their first run of the evening.
The Hammerheads scored again in the sixth. This time it was a solo home run by Matt Juengel to cut the lead in half.
But the Stone Crabs bullpen took over from there, keeping the Hammerheads off the board the rest of the evening and securing the 4-2 win.
Blake Snell picked up the win and Colton Reavis got the save. Matt Milroy was the losing pitcher for Jupiter.
The series concludes on Monday at Charlotte Sports Park. Jaimie Shultz will start the finale for the Stone Crabs against Austin Brice for Jupiter.
- Tommy Coyle (2B): 1 for 4 with an RBI and walk
- Juniel Querecuto (SS): 0 for 4
- Maxx Tissenbaum (C): 0 for 4
- Tyler Goeddel (3B): 1 for 3 with a triple, walk and a run scored
- Josh Sale (RF): 3 for 4 with a run scored
- Marty Gantt (LF): 2 for 3 with an RBI and a run scored
- Ariel Soriano (CF): 1 for 2 with a double, RBI, 2 walks and a run scored
- Granden Goetzman (DH): 2 for 4
- Jonathan Quinonez (1B): 1 for 4
- Blake Snell (Win, 5-5): 2 runs on 4 hits with 2 strikeouts and 4 walks in 5 2/3 innings
- Jordan Harrison (Hold, 2): 2 2/3 no-hit innings with 3 strikeouts
- Colton Reavis (Save, 3): 1 hit and a strikeout in 2/3 inning