The GCL Rays were held scoreless much of game two as they dropped the second game of Saturday’s doubleheader 9-3 to the GCL Orioles. The Rays were held scoreless through the first six frames before posting a trio of runs in the final inning.
The Orioles wasted no time in taking the lead. Ademar Riaela doubled home Alex Mercedes in the top of the first to grab a 1-0 lead.
The Orioles added to their lead in the second. Alexander Lee scored on an RBI single by Alexander De La Cruz to increase the lead to 2-0.
Clinton Harwick scored on a wild pitch in the top of the fifth to give the Orioles a 3-0 lead.
The Orioles added a pair of runs in the sixth. An RBI double by Jomar Reyes and a wald pitcher that scored Reyes increased the lead to 5-0.
A four inning seventh inning gave the Orioles a commanding 9-0 lead.
The Rays avoided the shut-out by pushing across three runs in the seventh. They loaded the bases as Isias Alcantar reached on an error and back to back singles by Matt Ford and Jamie Mitchell. David Rodriguez, Matt Reida and Cade Gotta each picked up an RBI. But the Rays couldn’t overcome the deficit as they lost 9-3.
Henry Centeno was charged with the loss, his first of the season.
The Rays are off on Sunday before beginning a four game series against the GCL Red Sox on Monday.
- Bill Pujols (2B): 1 for 4
- Matt Reida (3B): 1 for 3 with an RBI
- Cade Gotta (CF): 0 for 4 with an RBI
- Christian Knott (RF): 1 for 4
- Chris DeMorais (LF): 0 for 2 with a walk
- Mark Clark (C): 0 for 2
- Isias Alcantar (1B): 0 for 1 with a run scored
- Matt Ford (SS): 1 for 3 with a run scored
- Jamie Mitchell (DH): 1 for 2 with a walk and a run scored
- Josh Rapacz (1B-C): 1 for 1
- David Rodriguez (PH): 1 for 1
- Henry Centeno (Loss, 4-1): 3 runs on 4 hits with 3 strikeouts and 1 walk in 5 innings
- Alberto Casanas: 2 runs on 4 hits in 1 inning
- Tommy Lawrence: 4 runs on 4 hits with a walk in 1 inning