The Stone Crabs had their winning streak stopped at nine following a 4-1 loss to the Palm Beach Cardinals on Thursday night at Roger Dean Stadium.
Palm Beach scored first as they pushed across a run in the second inning. Bruce Caldwell scored on an RBI single by Ildemaro Vargas to give the Cardinals a 1-0 lead.
The Cardinals added two more in the third on a two run home run by Aledmys Diaz to make it 3-0.
The Stone Crabs got on the scoreboard in the top of the fourth. An RBI double by Josh Sale scored Pat Leonard giving the Stone Crabs their only run of the night.
Palm Beach pushed across one more run in the fifth on an RBI double by Bruce Caldwell to hand the Stone Crabs the 4-1 loss.
Jared Mortensen was charged with the loss for the Stone Crabs. Tyrell Jenkins was the winner and Dixon Llorens earned the save for Palm Beach.
The series concludes on Friday night at Roger Dean Stadium. Reinaldo Lopez takes to the mound for the finale against Luke Weaver for Palm Beach.
- Johnny Field (CF): 0 for 4
- Tommy Coyle (2B): 0 for 4
- Pat Leonard (DH): 1 for 3 with a run scored
- Maxx Tissenbaum (C): 0 for 3
- Tyler Goeddel (3B): 1 for 4
- Josh Sale (RF): 1 for 4 with a double and an RBI
- Granden Goetzman (LF): 0 for 3
- Juniel Querecuto (SS): 1 for 3
- Jonathan Quinonez (1B): 0 for 2
- Jared Mortensen (Loss, 0-1): 2 runs on 5 hits with 2 strikeouts and 3 walks in 4 innings
- Ryan Garton: 1 run on 2 hits in 2 innings
- Kevin Brandt: 1 scoreless inning with a hit, 2 strikeouts and a walk
- Jose Molina: 1 scoreless inning with a hit and 2 strikeouts