The Stone Crabs dropped their first series since early July after falling to the Palm Beach Cardinals 4-3 on Friday night at Roger Dean Stadium. The Stone Crabs watched an early lead disappear courtesy of four unanswered runs by the home team leading to the second loss for the Stone Crabs.
The Stone Crabs jumped out to a lead in the first inning. Tim Beckham led off the game with a single to center. He scored on an error to give the Stone Crabs a 1-0 lead.
The Stone Crabs added to their lead in the second inning. Josh Sale scored on an RBI single by Johnny Field for the first run of the inning. The second one came on an RBI single by Tommy Coyle to score Granden Goetzman to make it 3-0.
The Stone Crabs held the lead until the fifth inning when the Cardinals tied the game. Nick Martini drove in two runs with a double to center. Martini later scored on an error to tie the game.
Palm Beach pushed across the winning run in the sixth on an RBI single by Geruins Velazco to give them a 4-3 lead.
The Stone Crabs were held out of scoring position the rest of the night as they fell 4-3
Marcus Jensen was charged with the loss for the Stone Crabs. Andrew Morales was the winning pitcher for Palm Beach and Chris Perry got the save.
The Stone Crabs return home to Charlotte Sports Park for three game series against the Jupiter Hammerheads. Austin Pruitt is scheduled to start the opener on Saturday against Matt Milroy for Jupiter.
- Tim Beckham (2B): 1 for 4 with a run scored
- Johnny Field (CF): 2 for 4 with an RBI
- Tommy Coyle (DH): 1 for 4
- Pat Leonard (1B): 1 for 4
- Maxx Tissenbaum (C): 1 for 4
- Tyler Goeddel (3B): 0 for 4
- Josh Sale (RF): 1 for 4 with a run scored
- Juniel Querecuto (SS): 0 for 4
- Granden Goetzman (LF): 0 for 2 with a walk and a run scored
- Reinaldo Lopez: 3 runs on 6 hits with 4 strikeouts and 1 walk in 5 innings
- Marcus Jensen (Loss, 5-5): 1 run on 3 hits with a strikeout in 3 innings