The Stone Crabs have extended their winning streak to nine games after winning the series opener to the Palm Beach Cardinals 6-1 on Wednesday night at Roger Dean Stadium.
The Stone Crabs broke up the scoreless duel in the top of the fourth. Johnny Field doubled to center to lead off the inning. He quickly scored on an RBI single by Tommy Coyle to give the Stone Crabs a 1-0 lead.
The Stone Crabs scored again in the sixth inning. Tim Beckham singled to left to start the inning. Field doubled home Beckham for the first run of inning. Field then scored on a double by Pat Leonard to give the Stone Crabs a 3-0 lead.
Palm Beach got on the board in the sixth inning. Luke Voit scored on a ground ball by Jimmy Bosco to make it 3-1.
The Stone Crabs added two more runs in the seventh. Ariel Soriano went deep for his first home run of the season, a two run shot to increase the lead to 5-1.
The Stone Crabs pushed across another run in the eighth. Pat Leonard delivered an infield single and later scored on an RBI single by Marty Gantt to give the Stone Crabs the 6-1 margin of victory.
Jaime Schultz earned the win in his FSL debut. He tossed five scoreless inning before giving way to the bullpen. Corey Littrell was the losing pitcher for Palm Beach.
The series continues on Thursday at Roger Dean Stadium. Jared Mortensen will get the start against Tyrell Jenkins for Palm Beach.
- Tim Beckham (2B): 1 for 4 with a run scored
- Johnny Field (CF): 2 for 4 with 2 doubles and 2 runs scored
- Tommy Coyle (DH): 2 for 5 with an RBI
- Pat Leonard (1B): 2 for 4 with a double, RBI and run scored
- Tyler Goeddel (3B): 0 for 2 with 2 walks
- Marty Gantt (LF): 1 for 4 with an RBI and a run scored
- Jake DePew (C): 1 for 4
- Juniel Querecuto (SS): 0 for 4
- Ariel Soriano (RF): 1 for 4 with a 2-run homer
- Jaime Schultz (Win, 1-0): 5 scoreless innings with 2 hits, 4 strikeouts and 5 walks
- Jordan Harrison (Hold, 1): 1 run on 3 hits with a strikeout and a walk
- Zach Cooper: 1 scoreless inning with a hit, 2 strikeouts and a walk
- Colton Reavis: 1 scoreless inning with a hit