A late rally by the GCL Rays fell short as they lost to the GCL Red Sox 10-6 on Thursday at JetBlue Park. The Rays were swept by the Red Sox and have lost their last five straight.
The Rays took a lead in the first inning. Oscar Sanay led off the game with a double to center. He later scored on a ground ball by Matt Reida to give the Rays a 1-0 lead.
The Red Sox rallied to take the lead in the second. Luis Alexander Basabe scored on a wild pitch to tie the game. Trenton Kemp later singled home Victor Acosta to give the Red Sox a 2-1 lead.
The Red Sox added to their lead in the fifth inning. A three run homer by Basabe gave the Red Sox a 5-1 lead.
An RBI double by Alex McKeon and a grand slam by Rafael Devers made it 10-1 in the sixth.
The Rays rallied with a five run inning of their own in the top of the eighth. Cade Gotta singled home Matt Ford for the first run off the inning. A two run double by Bill Pujols scored Reida and Gotta. Christian Knott and Pujols each scored on a wild pitch to make it 10-6
The Rays put runners in scoring position in the ninth but couldn’t translate the runners into runs as they fell 10-6
- Oscar Sanay (DH): 2 for 4 with a double and a run scored
- Matt Reida (3B): 0 for 5 with an RBI and a run scored
- Cade Gotta (CF): 2 for 5 with a double, RBI and a run scored
- Jose Rojas (1B): 0 for 5
- Christian Knott (RF): 0 for 3 with a walk and a run scored
- Bill Pujols (2B): 1 for 4 with 2 RBI’s and a run scored
- Zacrey Law (LF): 2 for 4 with a double and an RBI
- Jamie Mitchell (C): 0 for 2
- Josh Rapacz (C): 0 for 2
- Matt Ford (SS): 2 for 4 with a double and a run scored
- Roberto Gomez (Loss, 0-1): 2 runs on 4 hits with 4 strikeouts and 1 walk in 3 innings
- Jose Castillo: 1 run on 2 walks with 2 strikeouts in 1 1/3 innings
- Deivy Mendez: 7 runs on 5 hits with 1 strikeout and 2 walks in 1 inning
- Michael Velasquez: 2 2/3 scoreless innings with 4 strikeouts and a hit