The GCL Rays started the day with a one game lead in the division but ended it trailing a game after being swept by the GCL Red Sox in Wednesday’s doubleheader at Charlotte Sports Park. The Rays fell 6-1 in game one and then lost game two by the score of 4-2.
In game one, the Rays jumped out to the lead in the second inning. David Rodriguez led off the inning with a double to center. He later scored on an RBI double by Bill Pujols to give the Rays a 1-0 lead.
The slim lead lasted until the fifth inning when the Red Sox struck for four runs. They added two more in the sixth to hand the Rays a 6-1 loss and even up the division.
Brock Burke suffered the loss in the opening game.
After a brief break, both clubs were back on the field for game two. Game two got underway much like the first game with the Rays taking an early lead.
The Rays scored a pair of runs in the opening frame. Matt Reida doubled to center to get things going. Reida then stole third and scored on a throwing error on the play. Cade Gotta later scored on a wild pitch to give the Rays a 2-0 lead.
Just like the first game, the Rays held the lead for much of the game. That is until the Red Sox went deep for two homers in the fifth inning. A solo home run by Trenton Kemp and a three run homer by Rafael Devers handed the Rays a 4-2 loss.
Junior Feliz suffered the loss in game two.
Game One Box Summary
- Oscar Sanay (2B): 1 for 3
- Zacrey Law (CF): 1 for 3 with a double
- Matt Reida (3B): 1 for 3
- Isias Alcantar (1B): 0 for 3
- David Rodriguez (C): 1 for 3 with a double and a run scored
- Chris DeMorais (LF): 0 for 3
- Bill Pujols (SS): 1 for 3 with a double and an RBI
- Jamie Mitchell (DH): 0 for 3
- Jaime Ayende (RF): 0 for 2 with a walk
- Blake Bivens: 4 shut-out innings with 2 hits and 5 strikeouts
- Brock Burke (Loss, 0-2): 6 runs on 4 hits with 1 strikeouts and 2 walks in 2 innings
- Luis Nunez: 1 no-hit inning with a walk
Game Two Box Summary
- Oscar Sanay (DH): 1 for 4
- Matt Reida (3B): 2 for 2 with a double and a run scored
- Cade Gotta (CF): 0 for 1 with a walk and a run scored
- Chris DeMorais (LF): 1 for 3
- Jose Rojas (C): 1 for 3
- Christian Knott (RF): 0 for 3
- Bill Pujols (2B): 0 for 3
- Josh Rapacz (1B): 0 for 3
- Matt Ford (SS): 2 for 3
- Angel Yepez: 4 scoreless innings with 4 hits and 4 strikeouts
- Junior Feliz (Loss, 2-1): 4 runs on 3 hits with a walk in 2 innings