The GCL Rays beat the rain but not the GCL Red Sox as they fell 6-2 on Monday at Charlotte Sports Park. On a day when the radar looked like rain would be the victor, the Rays were unable to find a way to overcome an earlier deficit as they lost the game and more importantly, lost a game in the standings.
The Red Sox scored first in the third inning. Derek Miller delivered an RBI double to right to score Michael Chavis and give the Red Sox a 1-0 lead.
The Red Sox added a run in the fourth on an RBI double by Chavis to make it 2-0.
The Red Sox pushed across three more in the fifth. A two run triple by Rafael Devers and an RBI single by Devon Fisher to score Devers game the Red Sox a commanding 5-0 lead.
The Rays took advantage of some wild pitching in the sixth to avoid being shut-out. Zacrey Law reached base after being hit by a pitch. Oscar Sanay followed with a single to left. A passed ball would score Law and Sanay would score on a wild pitcher to make it 5-2.
The Red Sox added an insurance run in the ninth. Alex McKeon singled home Chavis to hand the Rays a 6-2 defeat.
Jose Alvarado suffered the loss for the Rays.
- Oscar Sanay (DH): 2 for 4 with a run scored
- Matt Reida (3B): 0 for 3
- Cade Gotta (LF): 0 for 4
- Isias Alcantar (1B): 0 for 4
- David Rodriguez (C): 1 for 3
- Bill Pujols (2B): 0 for 2
- Christian Knott (RF): 0 for 3
- Matt Ford (SS): 0 for 3
- Zacrey Law (CF): 0 for 2 with a run scored
- Jose Alvarado (Loss, 1-4): 2 runs on 4 hits with 5 strikeouts and 1 walk in 4 innings
- Spencer Moran: 3 runs on 4 hits with 3 strikeouts in 2 innings
- Christopher Crisistomo: 1 run on 2 hits with 2 strikeouts in 3 innings