Blake Snell was just as explosive on the mound as the storms overhead that cut short Saturday’s game against the Daytona Cubs. Snell’s no-hit the Cubs to etch his name in history as the first Stone Crabs pitcher to toss a no-hitter in franchise history.
The Stone Crabs jumped out to a three run lead in the first inning and never looked back. Tommy Coyle was hit by a pitch followed by a walk to Ryan Hanigan. Pat Leonard singled home Coyle and then a walk to Maxx Tissenbaum loaded the bases with no outs. Hanigan scored on a sac fly by Tyler Goeddel and Leonard came home on a wild pitch to give the Stone Crabs a 3-0 lead.
The Stone Crabs added to their lead in the third inning. A single by Tissenbaum followed by both Goeddel and Johnny Field reaching on an error loaded the bases once again. Josh Sale plated the first run with a single to right and Granden Goetzman drove home the second run to make it 5-0.
The Stone Crabs offense continued to antagonize the Cubs in the bottom of the fourth. Coyle and Hanigan delivered back to back singles to lead off the inning. Coyle scored on a double by Tissenbaum. Goeddel reached after being hit by a pitch to put two runners on the bases. Sale picked up his second RBI of the night with an infield single. Three more runs would score on a base clearing triple by Goetzman to give the Stone Crabs a commanding 10-0 lead.
Play was halted in the top of the sixth due to heavy storms over the area. The game was never resumed and was declared official.
Snell earned the win and was credited with a complete game no-hitter. Tyler Skulina was the losing pitcher for Daytona.
The Stone Crabs look to continue their winning streak on Sunday against Daytona. Reinaldo Lopez will start for the Stone Crabs against Juan Paniagua for Daytona.
- Tommy Coyle (2B): 1 for 3 with 2 runs scored
- Ryan Hanigan (DH): 1 for 3 with a walk and 2 runs scored
- Pat Leonard (1B): 1 for 4 with an RBI and a run scored
- Maxx Tissenbaum (C): 2 for 2 with a double, RBI and 2 run scored
- Tyler Goeddel (3B): 0 for 1 with a walk and 2 run scored
- Johnny Field (CF): 0 for 2 with a walk
- Josh Sale (RF): 2 for 3 with 2 RBI’s a run scored
- Granden Goetzman (LF): 1 for 3 with a triple and 4 RBI’s
- Juniel Querecuto (SS): 0 for 3
- Blake Snell (Win, 4-5): 5 1/3 no-hit innings with 9 strikeouts and 3 walks