The Stone Crabs extended their winning streak to seven games as they shut-out the Daytona Cubs in Friday’s series opener at Charlotte Sports Park. Austin Pruitt pitched eight scoreless frames to win his team high ninth game.
The Stone Crabs broke the scoreless tie by pushing across a pair of runs in the second. Marty Gantt scored on an RBI single by Josh Sale for the first run of the inning. Sale later scored on a bases loaded walk to Pat Leonard to give them a 2-0 lead.
The Stone Crabs added to their lead in the fifth. Justin O’Conner singled home Leonard and later scored on double by Sale to make it 4-0.
The Stone Crabs added three more in the eighth. Gantt led off the inning with a double and then scored on an RBI single by Juniel Querecuto. Tommy Coyle later drove home two runs with a triple to right to give the Stone Crabs the 7-0 margin of victory.
Pruitt picked up the win for the Stone Crabs. Jose Rosario suffered the loss for Daytona.
The series continues on Saturday at Charlotte Sports Park. Blake Snell will get the ball for the Stone Crabs against Tyler Skulina for Daytona.
- Johnny Field (CF): 1 for 5 with a run scored
- Tommy Coyle (2B): 1 for 4 with a triple and 2 RBI’s
- Pat Leonard (1B): 1 for 3 with an RBI and a run scored
- Justin O’Conner (C): 2 for 4 with an RBI and a run scored
- Maxx Tissenbaum (DH): 0 for 4
- Marty Gantt (RF): 3 for 4 with 2 doubles and 3 runs scored
- Jose Sale (RF): 2 for 3 with a double, 2 RBI’s and a run scored
- Jonathan Quinonez (3B): 0 for 4
- Juniel Querecuto (SS): 2 for 4 with an RBI and a run scored
- Austin Pruitt (Win, 9-4): 8 scoreless innings with 6 hits and 6 strikeouts
- Colton Reavis: 1 shut-out inning with a hit and 2 strikeouts