After overcoming an early three run deficit, the GCL Rays surrendered a run in the late innings to lose to the GCL Orioles 4-3 on Saturday at Charlotte Sports Park.
The Orioles took advantage of the rehabbing Roberto Gomez by going deep for a two run homer. Daniel Franco reached on an error to lead off the game. But he wouldn’t remained their long as Ademar Rifaela took the first offering from Gomez over the right field wall to give the Orioles a 2-0 lead.
The Orioles added to their lead in the third inning. Guillermo Salas doubled to right and then scored on a single by TJ Olesczuk to make it 3-0.
But the Rays answered the call in the fourth inning. The rally started by loading the bases. A walk to Cade Gotta followed by back to back singles by Isias Alcantar and David Rodriguez loaded the bases with no outs. A single by Bill Pujols aided by a fielding error scored Gotta and Alcantar. The tying run later came on an RBI single by Jamie Mitchell to score Rodriguez and tie the game.
The game remained tied until the eighth inning. Guillermo Salas scored on an error to give the Orioles a slim 4-3 lead.
The Rays were retired in order in the remaing two innings as they fell to the Orioles 4-3.
Deivy Mendez was charged with the loss for the Rays.
The Rays are off on Sunday before beginning a four game series against the GCL Red Sox on Monday.
- Oscar Sanay (2B): 1 for 4
- Zacrey Law (CF): 0 for 2
- Chris DeMorais (CF): 0 for 1 with a walk
- Cade Gotta (LF): 0 for 3 with a walk and a run scored
- Isias Alcantar (1B): 1 for 4 with a run scored
- David Rodriguez (C): 1 for 4 with a run scored
- Bill Pujols (3B): 1 for 4 with an RBI
- Christian Knott (RF): 0 for 4
- Jamie Mitchell (DH): 2 for 4 with a double and an RBI
- Matt Ford (SS): 1 for 3
- Roberto Gomez: 3 runs on 4 hits with 3 strikeouts in 2 2/3 innings
- Jose Castillo: 1 1/3 no-hit innings with a strikeout
- Nick Sawyer: 1 no-hit inning with a strikeout
- Deivy Mendez (Loss, 0-4): 1 unearned run on 2 hits with 4 strikeouts in 4 innings