The Stone Crabs capitalized on enemy errors to sweep the Tampa Yankees following a 7-3 win on Thursday at Charlotte Sports Park. Two costly errors resulted in a four run inning that helped propel the Stone Crabs to their sixth straight victory.
The Yankees scored first by pushing across a run in second inning. Anderson Feliz singled home Aaron Judge to give the Yankees a 1-0 lead.
The Stone Crabs answered with two runs in the bottom of the second to grab the lead. After a free pass issued to Marty Gantt, Juniel Querecuto tripled into right field to score Gantt. Querecuto later scored on a wild pitch to give the Stone Crabs a 2-1 lead.
But the lead did not last long as the Yankees posted a two run inning of their own in the third. An RBI double by Judge followed by an REBI double by Eric Jagielo gave the Yankees a 3-2 lead.
The Stone Crabs took the lead back in the fourth inning. They loaded the bases with three straight singles by Maxx Tissenbaum, Gantt and Ariel Soriano. Then an error by Tampa’s shortstop resulted in all three runners scoring on a force attempt by Querecuto. Querecuto later scored on another Tampa error to give the Stone Crabs a 6-3 lead.
The Stone Crabs added an insurance run in the eighth. Justin O’Conner singled to left and later scored on an RBI single by Gantt to increase the lead to 7-3.
Zach Cooper continued his streak of scoreless outings to secure the Stone Crabs victory.
Jordan Harrison improved to 2-2 with the win. Cooper recorded the save, this fourth of the season. Miguel Sulbaran was the losing pitcher for Tampa.
The Stone Crabs welcome the defending FSL Champion Daytona Cubs to Charlotte Sports Park for a four game series starting on Friday. Austin Pruitt will get the ball for the series opener.
- Johnny Field (CF): 1 for 3 with a walk
- Tommy Coyle (2B): 1 for 4
- Pat Leonard (1B): 0 for 4
- Justin O’Conner (C): 1 for 4 with a run scored
- Maxx Tissenbaum (DH): 1 for 4 with a run scored
- Marty Gantt (RF): 2 for 3 with a RBI and 2 runs scored
- Ariel Soriano (2B): 1 for 3 with a run scored
- Juniel Querecuto (SS): 1 for 4 with a triple, 2 walks and 2 runs scored
- Granden Goetzman (LF): 0 for 3
- Jordan Harrison (Win, 2-2): 3 runs on 4 hits with 6 strikeouts and 3 walks in 6 innings
- Jose Molina (Hold, 5): 1 2/3 scoreless innings with a strikeout and a walk
- Zach Cooper (Save, 4): 1 1/3 no-hit innings with 2 strikeouts