The GCL Rays rallied to a walk-off win against the GCL Twins in the series finale at Charlotte Sports Park on Thursday. A three run rally in the bottom of the ninth lifted the Rays to a 5-4 win.
The Rays took an early lead in the first inning on a solo home run by Tim Beckham to give the Rays a 1-0 lead.
But it didn’t last long as the Twins strung together three straight one run innings to make it 3-1 at the end of the fourth.
Both clubs exchanged runs on the fifth and sixth. The Rays picked up a run in the fifth when Jaime Ayende scored on a double play. But the Twins matched the run in the sixth to make it 4-2.
The bottom of the ninth rally got started with a single by Jaime Ayende. Matt Reida then reached on a ground ball to put runners on the corners. A double by Jose Rojas scored Ayende for the first run of the inning. David Rodriguez became the hero of the afternoon when Reida and Rojas scored on his single to center to win the game 5-4.
Tommy Lawrence was the winner for the Rays.
The Rays kick off a two game series against the GCL Orioles with game one on the road in Sarasota on Friday.
- Oscar Sanay (DH): 1 for 4 with a walk
- Tim Beckham (SS): 1 for 3 with a home run and 3 walks
- Matt Reida (3B): 1 for 5 with a run scored
- Isias Alcantar (1B): 0 for 4
- Jose Rojas (1B): 1 for 1 with a double, RBI and run scored
- David Rodriguez (C): 1 for 5 with 2 RBI’s
- Cade Gotta (CF): 1 for 3
- Bill Pujols (2B): 1 for 2 with a double and 2 walks
- Jeremy Hadley (LF): 0 for 2
- Christian Knott (LF): 0 for 2
- Jaime Ayende (RF): 2 for 3 with a double and 2 runs scored
- Angel Yepez: 2 runs on 8 hits with 4 strikeouts and 3 2/3 innings
- Nick Sawyer: 1 1/3 no-hit innings with a strikeout and 2 walks
- Tommy Lawrence (Win, 1-0): 1 run on 4 hits with a strikeout in 4 innings