A seven run fourth inning helped power the Stone Crabs to their fifth straight win as they defeated the Tampa Yankees 9-4 on Wednesday evening at Charlotte Sports Park. The Stone Crabs have now won 8 of the last 9 games.
The Stone Crabs took the lead in the first inning. Tommy Coyle and Pat Leonard delivered back to back singles to get things going. Coyle then scored on an RBI single by Justin O’Conner to take a 1-0 lead.
Tampa scored a pair of runs in the third to grab the lead. Danny Oh doubled home Jose Rosario. Oh later scored on RBI triple to give the Yankees a 2-1 lead.
Then came the big fourth inning. The Stone Crabs sent 11 hitters to the plate who collected 8 hits and 2 walks to push across 7 runs. Johnny Field had a three run double, Tyler Goeddel had a two run double, a run scored on an error and another on a wild pitch to give the Stone Crabs an 8-2 lead.
Tampa scored two more in the sixth. A double by Trent Garrison scored two runs to make it 8-4.
The Stone Crabs added their ninth and final run in the bottom of the seventh. O’Conner doubled to right and scored on the same play thanks to a fielding and throwing error.
The Stone Crabs held their opponent scoreless the rest of the night enroute to the 9-4 win.
Starter Jared Mortensen struck out nine hitters in four innings but departed with a no-decision. Ryan Garton picked up the win for the Stone Crabs. Brett Gerritse was the losing pitcher for Tampa.
The series concludes on Thursday at Charlotte Sports Park. Jordan Harrison will face Miguel Sulbaran in the finale.
- Johnny Field (CF): 1 for 5 with a double, 2 RBI’s and a run scored
- Tommy Coyle (2B): 1 for 5 with 2 runs scored
- Pat Leonard (1B): 2 for 5 with a run scored
- Justin O’Conner (C): 3 for 4 with a double, RBI and 2 runs scored
- Tyler Goeddel (3B): 2 for 4 with a double and 2 RBI’s
- Josh Sale (RF): 0 for 4
- Marty Gantt (LF): 2 for 3 with a walk and a run scored
- Juniel Querecuto (SS): 1 for 4 with a run scored
- Granden Goetzman (DH): 2 for 4 with a double and a run scored
- Jared Mortensen: 2 runs on 5 hits with 9 strikeouts in 4 innings
- Ryan Garton (Win, 5-1): 2 runs on 4 hits with 3 strikeouts in 2 innings
- Colton Reavis: 2 scoreless innings with 1 hit and a strikeout