The Stone Crabs have won their fourth straight game following a 5-4 win over the Tampa Yankees on Tuesday night at Charlotte Sports Park.
Tampa took an early lead by scoring in the first inning. Dante Bichette Jr had an RBI triple to score Greg Bird to give the Yankees a 1-0 lead.
The Stone Crabs tied the game in the third inning. Jose Sale drew a walk to open the inning. He then scored on an RBI double by Johnny Field to tie the game.
The Stone Crabs grabbed the lead an inning later. A single by Maxx Tissenbaum and a walk to Ariel Soriano set the stage for a two run triple by Marty Gantt. Gantt then scored on a ground ball by Sale to give the Stone Crabs a 4-1 lead.
The Yankees countered with a three run inning of their own to tie the game once again in the sixth inning. A home run by Eric Jagielo followed by four walks and field error lead to three runs and a tie ballgame.
The game remained tied until the bottom of the eighth inning. Tyler Goeddel tripled to center and later scored on a sac fly by Tommy Coyle to give the Stone Crabs a 5-4 win.
Marcus Jensen picked up the win for the Stone Crabs. Alex Smith suffered the loss for Tampa.
The series continues on Wednesday at Charlotte Sports Park. Jared Mortensen (0-0, 0.00) will get the ball opposite Brett Gerritse (3-5, 3.62) for Tampa.
- Johnny Field (CF): 1 for 4 with a double and an RBI
- Tyler Goeddel (3B): 2 for 4 with a triple and a run scored
- Tommy Coyle (2B): 0 for 3 with an RBI
- Pat Leonard (1B): 0 for 4
- Maxx Tissenbaum (C): 2 for 3 with a run scored
- Ariel Soriano (SS): 0 for 1 with 2 walks and a run scored
- Marty Gantt (LF): 2 for 3 with a triple, 2 RBI’s and 1 run
- Josh Sale (RF): 0 for 2 with an RBI, walk and a run scored
- Granden Goetzman (LF): 0 for 3
- Reinaldo Lopez: 1 run on 2 hits with 4 strikeouts and 5 walks in 5 innings
- Kevin Brandt: 3 runs on 2 hits and 4 walks with 1 strikeout in 2/3 inning
- Marcus Jensen (Win, 5-4): 3 1/3 scoreless innings with a hit, 4 strikeouts and a walk