It was a long afternoon for the GCL Rays as they defeated the GCL Twins 4-2 in fourteen innings at Lee County Sport Complex. It came down to two bases loaded walks to push across the winning runs and lead the Rays to victory.
The Rays wasted no time in grabbing the lead, scoring twice in the first inning. Cade Gotta double to right and then scored on a single by Christian Knott. Knott later scored on a single by Chris DeMorais to give the Rays a 2-0 lead.
The Twins cut the lead in half in the third inning. Manuel Guzman singled home Joel Ramirez to make it 2-1.
The Twins tied the game in the seventh. A sac fly by Ramirez scored Joel Polanco to tie the game 2-2.
From there, we went scoreless for six innings. But the Rays broke that scoreless streak in the top of the fourteenth inning. They loaded the bases after Matt Reida singled, Gotta was intentionally walked and Knott was hit by a pitch. A bases loaded walk to DeMorais and Jose Rojas pushed across two runs and game the Rays a two run lead.
Luis Nunez closed the door in the bottom of the fourteenth to secure the 4-2 win.
Christopher Crisostomo was the winner and Nunez got the save.
The Rays and Twins do it one more time on Thursday afternoon at Charlotte Sports Park.
- Zacrey Law (CF): 0 for 6
- Matt Reida (3B): 1 for 6 with a run scored
- Cade Gotta (RF): 2 for 5 with a double and 2 runs scored
- Christian Knott (LF): 1 for 5 with an RBI and a run scored
- Chris DeMorais (DH): 2 for 5 with 2 RBI’s
- Oscar Sanay (2B): 0 for 6
- Jose Rojas (1B): 0 for 5 with a walk and an RBI
- Matt Ford (SS): 1 for 6
- Jamie Mitchell (C): 0 for 2
- Josh Rapacz (C): 1 for 3
- Junior Feliz: 1 run on 3 hits with 3 strikeouts and 3 walks in 5 innings
- Alberto Casanas: 1 run on 2 hits with 4 strikeouts in 5 innings
- Christopher Crisostomo (Win, 1-1): 3 scoreless innings with a walk and a hit
- Luis Nunez (Save, 2): 1 shut-out inning with 2 hits and 2 strikeouts