The GCL Rays held off a surge by the GCL Twins as they won 7-6 in game one of Tuesday’s doubleheader at Charlotte Sports Park.
The Rays took a five run lead in the second inning. They sent eight hitters to the plate and used four hits and two walks to score five runs. Christian Knott , Tim Beckham and Cade Gotta each picked up RBI’s to make it 5-0.
The Twins countered with a four run third inning. They took advantage of starter Jose Alvarado who was struggling with control. He walked the bases loaded and then gave up a grand slam to Amaurys Minier to make it 5-4.
The Rays added to their lead in the third inning. Chris DeMorais drove home a run followed by an RBI single by Bill Pujols to increase the lead to 7-4.
The Twins added a run in the fourth and another in the seventh but the Rays stranded the tying and go ahead run on base to take a 7-6 win.
Spencer Moran picked up his second win of the season in just his second professional start.
- Tim Beckham (2B): 0 for 3 with an RBI
- Matt Reida (3B): 2 for 4 with a double, RBI and a run scored
- Cade Gotta (LF): 1 for 3 with 2 RBI’s
- Isias Alcantar (1B): 0 for 3
- David Rodriguez (C): 0 for 1 with 2 walks and 2 runs scored
- Christian Knott (RF): 3 for 3 with a double, RBI and a run scored
- Zacrey Law (CF): 1 for 3 with 2 runs scored
- Chris DeMorais (DH): 0 for 2 with an RBI and run scored
- Bill Pujols (SS): 1 for 3 with an RBI
- Jose Alvarado: 4 runs on 2 hits with 5 strikeouts and 3 walks in 2 2/3 innings
- Spencer Moran (Win, 2-0): 1 run on 3 hits with 2 strikeouts
- Nick Sawyer (Hold, 1): 1 no-hit inning with 2 strikeouts
- Edwin Fierro (Save, 2): 1 unearned run on 3 hits with a strikeout in 1 inning