The GCL Rays rallied in the late innings, but fell just one run short as they lost to the GCL Rays 6-5 on Friday afternoon at Charlotte Sports Park.
The Orioles took the lead in the first inning. Randolph Gassaway drove home the first run of the afternoon. He then scored on an RBI single by Ronarsy Ledesma to give the Orioles a 2-0 lead.
The Rays battled back to tie the game in the third. Matt Reida drew a walk and later scored on an RBI single by Cade Gotta. Gotta scored on an RBI double by David Rodriguez to tie the game.
The Orioles regained the lead in the sixth inning. Derek Peterson drove home two runs with a triple and later scored himself to give them a 5-2 lead.
The Orioles added another run in the seventh. Alex Mercedes doubled and later scored to increase their lead to 6-2.
The Rays orchestrated a three run inning in the bottom of the seventh. Chris DeMorais lead off with a single to left followed by a double to left by Bill Pujols. De Morais scored on a wild pitch and Pujols came home on a sac fly by Oscar Sanay. The third run of the inning came on a solo home run by Matt Reida, his first as a pro, to bring the Rays to within a run of the lead.
The Rays were held scoreless in the remaining two innings as they fell 6-5.
Chris Crisostomo suffered the loss for the Rays.
The series switches venues to Ed Smith Stadium for Saturday.
- Tim Beckham (SS): 1 for 3 with a double
- Oscar Sanay (2B): 1 for 1 with an RBI
- Matt Reida (3B): 1 for 2 with a home run
- Cade Gotta (CF): 2 for 4 with an RBI
- Isias Alcantar (1B): 0 for 5
- David Rodriguez (C): 1 for 4 with a double and an RBI
- Christian Knott (RF): 1 for 3
- Jose Rojas (DH): 1 for 3
- Jaime Ayende (PR-DH): pinch ran for Rojas in the 8th
- Chris DeMorais (LF): 1 for 4 with a double
- Bill Pujols (2B-SS): 1 for 4 with a double and a run scored
- Angel Yepez: 2 runs on 6 hits with 2 strikeouts in 5 innings
- Christopher Crisostomo (Loss, 0-1): 3 runs on 4 hits in 1 inning
- Tommy Lawrence: 1 run on 5 hits with 3 strikeouts in 3 innings