The Stone Crabs have won their third straight as they squeaked by the Dunedin Blue Jays 2-1 in the series opener at Florida Auto Exchange Stadium.
Dunedin broke the scoreless tie in the fourth inning. Dwight Smith led off the inning with a triple to center. He scored on a grounder by Marcus Knecht to give the Blue Jays a 1-0 lead.
The Stone Crabs countered in the top of the fifth inning. Marty Gantt and Granden Goetzman reached on back to back walks. A line drive by Leonardo Reginatto drove home both runners to give the Stone Crabs a 2-1 lead.
The pitching staff backed by some great defense was more than enough to keep the Blue Jays off the board the rest of the night, earning a 2-1 win.
Reinaldo Lopez was the winner and improved to 6-4 on the season. Zach Cooper recorded his second save of the season. Sean Nolin was the losing pitcher for Dunedin.
The series continues on Friday in Dunedin.
- Johnny Field (CF): 0 for 4
- Leonardo Reginatto (SS): 1 for 4 with 2 RBI’s
- Pat Leonard (1B): 2 for 4 with a double
- Justin O’Conner (C): 1 for 4
- Tyler Goeddel (3B): 0 for 4
- Josh Sale (RF): 0 for
- Ariel Soriano (2B): 1 for 4
- Marty Gantt (LF): 0 for 1 with 2 walks and a run scored
- Granden Goetzman (DH): 1 for 3 with a walk and a run scored
- Reinaldo Lopez (Win, 6-4): 7 2/3 inning with 1 run on 9 hits with 3 strikeouts and 1 walk
- Jose Molina (Hold, 3): 1 no-hit inning
- Zach Cooper (Save, 2): retired the final hitter of the night