The GCL Rays put some distance between them and the GCL Red Sox in the standing by taking the series finale 5-3 on Thursday afternoon at JetBlue Park. The Rays have now won three straight against the Red Sox as they move two games ahead of them in the standings.
The GCL Rays broke the scoreless tie by pushing across a pair of runs in the third inning. Oscar Sanay reachd on an error followed by a walk issued to Matt Reida to put two runners aboard with no outs. Cade Gotta drove them home with a line drive to left to give the Rays a 2-0 lead.
The Rays kept it going by using three extra base hits in the fifth to push across two more runs. Sanay doubled to left and then scored on an RBI double by Gotta. Gotta later scored on a double by David Rodriguez to increase the lead to 4-0.
The Red Sox cut the lead in half in the bottom of the fifth. A sac fly by Jhon Nunez and an RBI single by Derek Miller made it 4-2.
Both clubs exchanged runs in the sixth inning. Sanay singled home Knott in the top of the inning for the Rays. The Red Sox countered with a run in a Trenton Kemp single to bring the score to 5-3.
The Red Sox rallied in the home half of the ninth. Derek Miller singled home Alex McKeon to pull within a run of the lead. But Luis Nunez rallied to get the Rays out of the jam and secure the win.
Junior Feliz picked up his second win of the season while Nunez notched the save.
- Oscar Sanay (2B): 2 for 4 with a double, RBI and 2 runs scored
- Bill Pujols (2B): defensive substitution
- Matt Reida (3B): 1 for 4 with a run scored
- Cade Gotta (CF): 2 for 5 with 2 double, 3 RBI’s and a run scored
- Isias Alcantar (1B): 3 for 5 with a double
- David Rodriguez (DH): 2 for 5 with a double with an RBI
- Jose Rojas (C): 0 for 5
- Christian Knott (RF): 1 for 3 with a run scored
- Matt Ford (SS): 2 for 4
- Jaime Ayende (LF): 2 for 4
- Taylor Guerrieri: 3 scoreless innings with 2 strikeouts and 2 hits
- Junior Feliz (Win, 2-0): 3 runs on 7 hits with 4 strikeouts
- Luis Nunez (Save, 1): 1 run on 2 hits with 3 strikeouts and 2 walks in 2 2/3 innings