A late game rally fell one run short as the Stone Crabs lost to the Clearwater Threshers 4-3 on Monday night at Bright House Field.
The Threshers went right to work, scoring in the first inning. Art Charles singled home Roman Quinn to give Clearwater a 1-0 lead.
The Stone Crabs didn’t trail long as they tied it up in the second on one swing of the bat by Justin O’Conner. O’Conner took the offering over the left field wall to tie the game 1-1.
Clearwater regained the lead in the seventh. Charles drove home two runs with a triple to center. He later scored on an RBI single by Brian Pointer to give the Threshers a 4-1 lead.
The Stone Crabs bounced back to score two runs in the top of the eighth. They loaded the bases after back to back walk to Johnny Field and Tommy Coyle followed by a single by Leonardo Reginatto. Pat Leonard drove home Field and Coyle with a single to left to pull the Stone Crabs to within a run of the lead. But they stranded the tying and go ahead runs to lose 4-3
Jordan Harrison was the losing pitcher for the Stone Crabs. Jordan Guth was the winning pitcher for Clearwater and Cody Forsythe earned the save.
The Stone Crabs head back to Bright House Field for game three of the four game set on Tuesday. Austin Pruitt will be on the hill for the Stone Crabs against Jeb Stefan for Clearwater.
- Johnny Field (CF): 1 for 3 with a run scored
- Tommy Coyle (2B): 1 for 3 with a run scored
- Leonardo Reginatto (SS): 1 for 4
- Pat Leonard (1B): 1 for 4 with 2 RBI’s
- Justin O’Conner (C): 1 for 4 with a solo homer
- Tyler Goeddel (3B): 2 for 2 with 2 walks
- Josh Sale (DH): 0 for 4
- Granden Goetzman (LF): 0 for 4
- Ariel Soriano (RF): 0 for 4
- Jordan Harrison (Loss, 0-2): 4 runs on 3 hits with 3 strikeouts and 2 walks in 5 2/3 innings
- Kevin Brandt: 1 1/3 scoreless innings with 2 strikeouts and a walk
- Colton Reavis: 1 no-hit inning