The GCL Rays watched an early lead slip away and a late game rally fall short as they dropped game one of Monday’s doubleheader against the GCL Reds Sox at Charlotte Sports Park. Despite a late game rally to force extra innings, it was one run in the top of the eight by the visiting Red Sox that would make the difference.
The Rays jumped out to an early lead in the first inning by pushing across three runs. Zacrey Law singled to center to get things going. The rehabbing Tim Beckham followed with a single to right. Cade Gotta then drew a walk to load the bases with one out. David Rodriguez struck a two run double to put the Rays on the scoreboard. The third run of the inning came on a ground ball by Jeremy Hadley to make it 3-0.
The three runs came at a cost as the Rays lost Law in the inning. He suffered a leg injury on the single by Beckham and was replaced by Christian Knott.
The Red Sox bounced back to tie the game in the top of the third. The Red Sox capitalized on three hits, an error and a hit by pitch to score three runs to tie the game 3-3.
The Red Sox took their first lead by scoring in the forth. Rafael Oliveras singled home Rafael Devers to give the Red Sox a 4-3 lead.
The Red Sox added to their lead in the sixth inning. An RBI single by Oliveras and an RBI double by Trenton Kemp increased their lead to 6-3.
The Rays used their home field advantage to tie the game in the bottom of the seventh. Matt Ford doubled home Bill Pujols for the first run of the inning. Then a two run triple by Beckham to tie the game and force extra innings.
But the Red Sox didn’t waste any time in scoring as they scored on a passed ball to regain the lead in the eighth.
The Rays put the tying run on the bases in the bottom of the eighth but failed to get him home as they dropped the first game of the doubleheader by the score of 7-6.
Edwin Fierro suffered the loss for the Rays.
- Oscar Sanay (2B): 1 for 4
- Zacrey Law (CF): 1 for 1
- Christian Knott (PR-RF): 1 for 3 with 2 runs scored
- Tim Beckham (DH): 3 for 4 with triple, 2 RBI’s and a run scored
- Cade Gotta (LF-CF): 0 for 2 with 2 walks and a run scored
- David Rodriguez (C): 1 for 3 with 2 RBI’s
- Jeremy Hadley (RF): 0 for 4 with an RBI
- Bill Pujols (3B): 2 for 4 with a run scored
- Isias Alcantar (1B): 0 for 4
- Matt Ford (SS): 1 for 4 with a double, RBI and a run scored
- Henry Centeno: 4 runs on 6 hits with 5 strikeouts in 4 innings
- Joselito Cano: 2 runs on 5 hits with 2 strikeouts in 1 2/3 innings
- Edwin Fierro (Loss, 0-1): 1 run on 3 hits with a walk in 2 1/3 innings