Even a big league arm couldn’t counter a dazzling performance by Clearwater’s starter Mark Leiter as the Stone Crabs were shut-out by the Clearwater Threshers 5-0 on Sunday afternoon at Bright House Field.
All eyes turned to the mound at Clearwater as Rays pitcher Jeremy Hellickson was making a rehab start to align him for a return for the Rays. But it was Leiter who stole the show, striking out eight in a complete game shut-out.
Clearwater ended the scoreless in the bottom of the third. Brian Pointer drove home two runs with a double to left to give the Threshers a 2-0 lead.
The Threshers added two more in the fourth. Corey Bass had an RBI double and then scored on a single by JP Crawford to give them a 4-0 lead.
Clearwater added their fifth and final run in the sixth. Chris Serritella tripled to right and then scored on a ground ball by Roman Quinn to make it 5-0.
The Stone Crabs offense comprised just five hits, but four of them were of the extra base variety. But it wasn’t enough as they fell 5-0.
Hellickson suffered the loss for the Stone Crabs. Leiter picked up the win for Clearwater.
The series resumes on Monday at Bright House Field in the battle of the Jordan’s. Jordan Harrison (0-1, 4.22) will oppose Jordan Guth (1-3, 2.58) for Clearwater.
- Johnny Field (CF): 1 for 4 with a double
- Tommy Coyle (2B): 1 for 4 with at riple
- Leonardo Reginatto (SS): 1 for 4 with a double
- Pat Leonard (1B): 1 for 4 with a double
- Justin O’Conner (C): 1 for 3
- Maxx Tissenbaum (DH): 0 for 3
- Marty Gantt (RF): 0 for 3
- Josh Sale (LF): 0 for 3
- Jonathan Quinonez (3B): 0 for 3
- Jeremy Hellickson (Loss, 0-1): 4 runs on 7 hits with 4 strikeouts and a walk in 5 innings
- Jose Molina: 1 run on 4 hits with 4 strikeouts in 3 innings