The Stone Crabs Christmas in July failed to provide the ultimate present in the form of a series sweep as the Stone Crabs dropped the finale to the Lakeland Flying Tigers 9-4 on Saturday night at Charlotte Sports Park.
Lakeland scored first on Saturday night. Curt Powell led of the game with a walk. He would make his way around the bases and eventually score on a ground ball to give them a 1-0 lead.
The Stone Crabs matched the run and added another in the bottom of the first. Johnny Field opened the frame with a double to left. Tommy Coyle followed with a bunt single to put runners on the corners. Field scored on an RBI single by Leonardo Reginatto to tie the game. Pat Leonard put the Stone Crabs in front with a sac fly to score Coyle and give the Stone Crabs a 2-1 lead.
Lakeland tied the game in the third. Powell doubled to right. He scored on an RBI single by Austin Green to tie the game 2-2.
Lakeland regained the lead in the fourth. An RBI double by James Robbins and an RBI single by Chad Wright gave the Flying Tigers a 4-2 lead.
Lakeland scored again in the fifth. Lance Durham and Jared Reaves each collected an RBI to make it 6-2.
The Stone Crabs squeezed out a pair of runs in the bottom of the sixth. Coyle tripled to center to lead off the inning. Then a walk to Reginatto and Leonard got hit by a pitch to load the based. The first run of the inning came on a sac fly by Maxx Tissenbaum. Then Tyler Goeddel drove home a run to pull the Stone Crabs to within two runs of the lead.
Lakeland put the game out of reach in the seventh on a three run homer by Durham. The Stone Crabs never recovered as they lost 9-4.
Ryne Stanek suffered the loss for the Stone Crabs. Tommy Collier was the winner for Lakeland.
The Stone Crabs now head to Bright House Field for a series against the Clearwater Threshers. Jeremy Hellickson will get a rehab start against Mark Leiter for Clearwater.
- Johnny Field (CF): 3 for 5 with a double and a run scored
- Tommy Coyle (2B): 3 for 5 with a triple and 2 runs scored
- Leonardo Reginatto (SS): 1 for 4 with an RBI and a run scored
- Pat Leonard (1B): 0 for 1 with an RBI
- Maxx Tissenbaum (C): 0 for 2 with an RBI
- Tyler Goeddel (3B): 1 for 4
- Marty Gantt (RF): 0 for 4
- Josh Sale (LF): 0 for 4
- Granden Goetzman (DH): 0 for 4
- Ryne Stanek (Loss, 1-1): 6 runs on 8 hits with 3 walks in 5 innings
- Marcus Jensen: 3 runs on 2 hits with 3 strikeouts and a walk in 3 innings
- Ryan Garton: 1 no-hit inning