Ryne Stanek dominated his Florida State League debut, leading the Stone Crabs to a 4-1 on Tuesday night at Charlotte Sports Park. In addition to Stanek making his debut, fans at Charlotte Sports Park were treated to dueling major leaguers in Yunel Escobar for the Stone Crabs and Brad Penny for Jupiter.
The Hammerheads scored their only run of the night in the top of the third inning. Cody Keefer scored on a ground out by Ryan Goetz to take a 1-0 lead.
The Stone Crabs matched the run and added another in the fifth inning. Granden Goetzman doubled to left with one out to put a runner in scoring position. Jonathan Quinonez drove him home with an RBI double to left. Quinonez later scored on an RBI single by Ariel Soriano to give the Stone Crabs a 2-1 lead.
The Stone Crabs picked up another run in the seventh. Quinonez struck an RBI triple to score Josh Sale to increase the lead to 3-1.
The Stone Crabs added an insurance run in the eighth. Justin O’Conner singled home Escobar to make it 4-1.
Kevin Brandt closed it out with three shut-out innings to ensure the Stone Crabs victory.
Stanek picked up the win and Brandt earned the save. Penny was the losing pitcher for Jupiter.
The series continues tomorrow afternoon at Charlotte Sports Park. Jordan Harrison will get the start for the Stone Crabs against Austin Brice for Jupiter. It is Summer Camp Day at Charlotte Sports Park so first pitch is scheduled for 12:00.
- Tommy Coyle (2B): 0 for 4
- Yunel Escobar (SS): 1 for 4 with a run scored
- Pat Leonard (1B): 1 for 4
- Justin O’Conner (C): 1 for 4
- Maxx Tissenbaum (DH): 0 for 4
- Granden Goetzman (LF): 1 for 3 with a double and a run scored
- Josh Sale (RF): 0 for 3 with a run scored
- Jonathan Quinonez (3B): 2 for 3 with a double, triple, 2 RBI’s and a run scored
- Ariel Soriano (CF): 1 for 3
- Ryne Stanek (Win, 1-0): 1 runs on 4 hits with 3 strikeouts and 1 walk in 6 innings
- Kevin Brandt (Save, 4): 3 scoreless innings with a hit and 2 strikeouts