The Stone Crabs had a hard time containing the explosive offensive of the St Lucie Mets as they lost 7-4 on Thursday night at Charlotte Sports Park. The loss left the Stone Crabs with their third sweep in the second half.
St Lucie took the lead in the third inning. Phillip Evan singled home Jeff McNeil to give the Mets a 1-0 lead.
The Stone Crabs tied the game in the fourth. Pat Leonard led off the inning with a single to left. He would later score on an RBI single by Tyler Goeddel to tie the game.
St Lucie took a commanding lead in the top of the sixth as they jumped all over reliever Zach Cooper. They tagged him for five runs in the inning to take a 6-1 lead.
The Stone Crabs picked up a run in the bottom of the sixth. Justin O’Conner doubled to right and later scored on an RBI single by Goeddel to make it 6-2.
St Lucie scored their seventh and final run of the evening in the top of the seventh. LJ Mazzilli doubled and later scored on an error to increase their lead to 7-2.
The Stone Crabs would get two more runs in the seventh. They loaded the bases with a walk to Leonardo Reginatto, a single by Leonard and a walk to O’Conner. Leonard scored on a ground ball by Maxx Tissenbaum and the second run can on a wild pitch. But the Stone Crabs could not get any more runs the rest of the night as they fell 7-4.
Cooper was charged with the loss. Luis Cessa was the winner and Paul Seward got the save for St Lucie.
The Stone Crabs now head south to Fort Myers for a three game series against the Fort Myers Miracle. Blake Snell will get the start for the Stone Crabs against Jose Berrios for Fort Myers. First pitch for the Independence Day game is scheduled for 12:35.
- Tommy Coyle (2B): 1 for 3
- Leonardo Reginatto (SS): 1 for 4 with a run scored
- Pat Leonard (1B): 2 for 5 with 2 runs scored
- Justin O’Conner (C): 1 for 3 with a double and a run scored
- Maxx Tissenbaum (DH): 0 for 4
- Tyler Goeddel (3B): 2 for 3 with 2 RBI’s
- Granden Goetzman (LF): 0 for 2 with 2 walks
- Ariel Soriano (CF): 0 for 4
- Marty Gantt (RF): 1 for 4 with a double
- Jordan Harrison: 1 earned run on 3 hits with 4 strikeouts in 5 innings
- Zach Cooper (Loss, 0-2): 5 runs on 5 hits with a walk in 2/3 inning
- Marcus Jensen: 1 run on 3 hits with a strikeout and a walk in 1 1/3 innings
- Parker Markel: 2 scoreless innings with a hit, 2 strikeouts and a walk