The Stone Crabs watched an early one run lead disappear as they fell 6-1 to the Fort Myers Miracle on Independence Day. The loss was the Stone Crabs fifth straight loss.
The Stone Crabs took the lead first, scoring in the first inning. Tommy Coyle led of the game with a single to center. Coyle later scored on an RBI single by Maxx Tissenbaum to give the Stone Crabs a 1-0 lead.
Stone Crabs starter and Claw Digest pitcher of the week Blake Snell was dealing on the mound. He threw four no-hit innings to start the afternoon. It wasn’t until the fifth inning before the Miracle could get to him. Dalton Hicks doubled to right and Tyler Grimes drew a walk to put runners on the bases. Both runners would score on a triple by Jorge Polance to give Fort Myers a 2-1 lead.
Fort Myers would put the game out of reach in the eighth inning when slugger Adam Brett Walker delivered a grand slam that would give Fort Myers the 6-1 win.
Snell was charged with the loss for the Stone Crabs. Jose Berrios was the winning pitcher for Fort Myers.
The series resumes on Saturday night at Hammond Stadium. Austin Pruitt (3-4, 4.65) will start against Bruce Lee (6-1, 2.22) for Fort Myers.
- Tommy Coyle (2B): 1 for 2 with a run scored
- Tyler Goeddel (3B): 0 for 4
- Leonardo Reginatto (SS): 1 for 4
- Maxx Tissenbaum (DH): 2 for 4 with an RBI
- Josh Sale (RF): 0 for 3
- Granden Goetzman (LF): 2 for 2 with a double
- Luke Bailey (C): 0 for 4
- Jonathan Quinonez (1B): 0 for 4
- Julian Ridings (CF): 1 for 3
- Blake Snell (Loss, 1-5): 2 runs on 2 hits with 9 strikeouts and 1 walk in 5 innings
- Ryan Garton: 2 shut-out innings with 3 walks
- Casey Weathers: 4 runs on a hit and 3 walks with 2 strikeouts in 1 inning