The Stone Crabs watched a three run lead disappear in the late innings as they lost the series opener to the St Lucie Mets 6-4 on Tuesday night at Charlotte Sports Park.
The Stone Crabs took the lead in the second inning. Claw Digest hitter of the month Maxx Tissenbaum tripled to right to get things going. He would later score on an RBI single by Granden Goetzman to put the Stone Crabs out in front 1-0.
St Lucie tied the game an inning later. Eudy Pina doubled home Jeff McNeil to tie the game 1-1.
The Stone Crabs regained the lead in the fifth inning. Leonardo Reginatto doubled to left with two outs to put a runner in scoring position. Reginatto scored on an RBI triple by Pat Leonard to give the Stone Crabs a 2-1 lead.
The Stone Crabs increased their lead in the seventh inning. Leonard doubled to right followed by a walk issued to Justin O’Conner to put two runners on the bases. Tissenbaum then delivered a two run double to increase the Stone Crabs lead to 4-1.
St Lucie closed in the lead in the eighth inning. Gilbert Gomez struck an RBI triple to score Pina for the first run off the inning. Gomez later scored on a sac fly by Cam Maron to pull to within a run of the lead.
The Mets took the lead in the ninth as they picked up three more runs. Pina singled home Maikis De La Cruz to tie the game. Then they got two more runs on a double by Gomez to give St Lucie a 6-4 lead.
The Stone Crabs standed the tying runs on the bases in the bottom of the ninth as they fell to the Mets 6-4.
Ryan Garton was charged with the loss for the Stone Crabs. Tim Peterson earned the win for St Lucie while Paul Seward picked up the save.
The series contines on Wednesday night at Charlotte Sports Park. Leonel Santiago (2-6, 6.13) will be on the mound for the Stone Crabs against Matt Koch (7-2, 3.33) for St Lucie.
- Tommy Coyle (2B): 0 for 5
- Leonardo Reginatto (SS): 2 for 4 with double and a run scored
- Pat Leonard (1B): 3 for 5 with a double, triple, RBI and a run scored
- Justin O’Conner (C): 0 for 4 with a run scored
- Maxx Tissenbaum (DH): 2 for 5 with a double, triple, 2 RBI’s and a run scored
- Tyler Goeddel (3B): 2 for 4
- Granden Goetzman (LF): 2 for 4 with an RBI
- Marty Gantt (RF): 0 for 4
- Julian Ridings (CF): 0 for 3
- Reinaldo Lopez: 1 unearned run on 4 hits with 2 strikeouts and 2 walks in 6 innings
- Parker Markel: 2 runs on 1 hit with 2 strikeouts in 2 innings
- Ryan Garton (Loss, 4-1): 3 runs on 3 hits and a walk in 1 inning