The Stone Crabs earned their first back to back win of the second half with a 3-1 win over the Jupiter Hammerheads on Saturday night at Roger Dean Stadium. Both starting pitchers, Blake Snell for the Stone Crabs and Jake Esch for Jupiter, dazzled the crowd with six straight innings of scoreless baseball.
It wasn’t until the bottom of the seventh when Jupiter finally scored the first run of the night. Josh Adams reached on an error to lead off the inning. Adams moved to second on a sac bunt and later to third on a wild pitch. Adams would eventually score on the second error of the inning to put the Hammerheads in front 1-0.
The Stone Crabs answered by scoring in the top of the eighth. Tommy Coyle singled on an infield hit. But he didn’t stay there long as Granden Goetzman tied the game with a triple off the right field foul pole. Pat Leonard then drew a walk to put runners on the corners for the Stone Crabs. A wild pitch scored Goetzman and moved Leonard into scoring position. Leonard would later score in an RBI single by Maxx Tissenbaum to give the Stone Crabs a 3-1 lead.
The bullpen shut down the Jupiter offense to secure a 3-1 Stone Crabs victory.
Kevin Brandt picked up the win and Ryan Garton notched the save. Colby Suggs was the losing pitcher for Jupiter.
Stone Crabs manager Jared Sandberg was ejected by home plate umpire Blake Carnahan in the eighth inning after arguing Goetzman’s triple off the foul pole was in fact a home run.
The series continues Sunday afternoon at Roger Dean Stadium. Austin Priuitt (3-4, 4.66) will be on the hill for the Stone Crabs against Matt Milroy (0-1, 7.20) for Jupiter. First pitch is scheduled for 1:05.
- Tommy Coyle (2B): 2 for 4
- Granden Goetzman (LF): 1 for 5 with a triple, RBI and run scored
- Pat Leonard (1B): 1 for 3 with a walk and a run scored
- Justin O’Conner (C): 1 for 4 with a double
- Maxx Tissenbaum (DH): 2 for 4 with an RBI
- Leonardo Reginatto (SS): 1 for 4
- Jose Sale (RF): 0 for 4
- Jonathan Quinonez (3B): 0 for 3
- Julian Ridings (CF): 2 for 4 with a double
- Blake Snell: 6 scoreless innings with 4 strikeouts and 2 walks
- Kevin Brandt (Win, 3-1): 1 unearned run on 1 hit with a strikeout and 2 walks in 1 2/3 innings
- Ryan Garton (Save, 4): 1 shut-out inning with a hit and a walk