The Stone Crabs were unable to contain the surging St Lucie Mets as they fell 6-2 on Monday night at Tradition Field.
St Lucie jumped out into the lead in the second inning. Brandon Nimmo tripled to left. Nimmo scored on a single by Cam Maron. Maikis De La Cruz then singled to put two runners on the bases for Eudy Pina who drove them both home with a double to right to give the Mets a 3-0 lead.
The Stone Crabs pulled to within one in the top of the fourth. They got things going by loading the bases following a ground ball by Leonardo Reginatto, a walk by Pat Leonard and a single by Like Bailey. Kes Carter and Jonathan Quinonez each plated a run to pull to within a run of the lead.
The Mets added a run in the bottom half of the inning. Aderlin Rodriguez drew a walk and later scored on a single by De La Cruz to extend the lead to 4-2.
The Mets scored again in the sixth. Nimmo drew a walk to lead off the frame. De La Cruz then knocked him home with a single to left to increase the lead to 5-2.
St Lucie picked up another run in the seventh on an RBI double by Nimmo to give them a 6-2 advantage.
The Stone Crabs were held off the board the remainder of the night as they fell 6-2.
Leonel Santiago was charged with the loss for the Stone Crabs. Steve Matz was the winning pitcher and Randy Fontanez earned the save.
The series continues on Tuesday at Tradition Field. Blake Snell will be making the start for the Stone Crabs (1-2, 3.21) against Luis Cess (5-4, 3.58) for St Lucie.
- Tyler Goeddel (3B): 1 for 5
- Tommy Coyle (2B): 1 for 4
- Leonardo Reginatto (SS): 2 for 4 with a double and a run scored
- Pat Leonard (DH): 0 for 3 with a walk and a run scored
- Luke Bailey (C): 1 for 4
- Kes Carter (CF): 1 for 3 with an RBI
- Jonathan Quinonez (1B): 0 for 4 with an RBI
- Josh Sale (LF): 1 for 4
- Julian Ridings (RF): 2 for 4
- Leonel Santiago (Loss, 1-6): 5 runs on 8 hits with 2 walks in 6 innings
- Casey Weathers: 1 run on 2 hits with a strikeout in 1 inning
- Jose Molina: 1 no-hit inning with a strikeout