The Stone Crabs rallied in the ninth but the late surge fell one run short as they lost to the Fort Myers Miracle 7-6. The big bats were out at Hammond Stadium on Wednesday night as both teams combined for three home runs in the game.
Fort Myers jumped out to a lead in the second inning. Travis Harrison hit a ground-rule double to put a runner in scoring position for the Miracle. Stuart Turner cleared the bases with a homer to give them a 2-0 lead.
The Stone Crabs tied the game in top of the fourth. Leonardo Reginatto drew a walk to open up the frame. Maxx Tissenbaum nodded things up with his first Florida State League homer, a two run shot to right to tie the game.
But the game would not stay tied long as Fort Myers added another two run homer to their tally, this time it was Mike Gonzales who went deep to give the Miracle a 4-2 advantage.
Nick Sawyer took over the mound in the eighth inning but really struggled with control. He surrendered three runs in the inning without ever giving up a hit as the Miracle extended their lead to 7-2.
The Stone Crabs rally in the ninth started with them loading the bases. Pat Leonard reached on error followed by single by Kes Carter and Jonathan Quinonez. Jose Sale drove home one, Tyler Goeddel drove home two runs and the fourth run came on an error by Fort Myers. But the Stone Crabs stranded the tying and go ahead runs at second and third as they fell 7-6.
Austin Pruitt was charged with the loss and is now 3-3 on the season. Jose Berrios was the winning pitcher for Fort Myers.
The Stone Crabs and Miracle hook up one for time before the All-Star Break in the series finale on Thursday night at Hammond Stadium. The Stone Crabs look to avoid their second consecutive series sweep by sending Reinaldo Lopez (4-2, 3.39) to the mound opposite Matt Tomshaw (6-1, 1.95) for Fort Myers.
- Tyler Goeddel (DH): 2 for 5 with 2 RBI’s
- Tommy Coyle (2B): 0 for 5
- Leonardo Reginatto (SS): 1 for 3 with a run scored
- Pat Leonard (1B): 1 for 4 with a run scored
- Kes Carter (CF): 1 for 4 with a run scored
- Maxx Tissenbaum (C): 1 for 4 with a two-run homer
- Jonathan Quinonez (3B): 1 for 4
- Josh Sale (LF): 0 for 3 with an RBI and a run scored
- Julian Ridings (RF): 0 for 3 with a run scored
- Austin Pruitt (Loss, 3-3): 4 runs on 6 hits with 4 strikeouts and a walk in 5 innings
- Kevin Brandt: 2 no-hit innings with 4 strikeouts
- Nick Sawyer: 1/3 inning with 3 runs coming off 5 walks
- Ryan Garton: 2/3 no-hit inning