The Stone Crabs watched an early lead disappear as they fell to the Bradenton Marauders 5-4 on Sunday evening at historic McKechnie Field in Bradenton.
The Stone Crabs jumped out to the lead in the first inning. They loaded the bases with back to back singles by Tommy Coyle and Leonardo Reginatto followed by a walk to Pat Leonard. Kes Carter then delivered a double to left to score two runs and give the Stone Crabs a 2-0 lead.
The Marauders cut the lead in half in the second inning. Jonathan Schwind singled to center and later scored on an RBI double by Eric Wood to make it 2-1 Stone Crabs.
Bradenton gained the lead an inning later following a three run third inning. An RBI single by Jose Osuna and a two run single by Wood gave the Marauders a 4-2 lead.
The Stone Crabs pulled a run closer by scoring in the top of the sixth inning. Leonard doubled to left and then scored on an RBI single by Maxx Tissenbaum to pull within a run of the lead 4-3.
But the Marauders matched the run in the bottom of the sixth on a solo home run by Jin-De Jhang to extend the lead to 5-3.
The Stone Crabs pulled closer in the eighth inning. Justin O’Conner doubled home Leonard to get back to within a run of the lead.
The Stone Crabs put the tying run in scoring position again in the ninth but failed to push it across the plate as they fell 5-4.
Bruedlin Suero suffered the loss for the Stone Crabs. Chad Kuhl was the winning pitcher for Bradenton and Pat Ludwig got the save.
The series shifts to Charlotte Sports Park for the finale on Monday night. Leonel Santiago (1-5, 7.04) will get the start for the Stone Crabs against John Kuchno (3-5, 4.06) for Bradenton. It is Fan Appreciation Night at Charlotte Sports Park where all fans in attendance will get into the game for FREE!!!!
- Tyler Goeddel (3B): 1 for 4
- Tommy Coyle (2B): 1 for 5 with a run scored
- Leonardo Reginatto (SS): 2 for 5 with a run scored
- Pat Leonard (1B): 1 for 3 with a double, walk and 2 runs scored
- Kes Carter (CF): 1 for 3 with a double and 2 RBI’s
- Justin O’Conner (C): 2 for 4 with a double and an RBI
- Maxx Tissenbaum (DH): 1 for 4 with an RBI
- Josh Sale (LF): 1 for 4
- Julian Ridings (RF): 0 for 4
- Bruedlin Suero (Loss, 3-3): 4 runs on 8 hits with 2 strikeouts and 2 walks in 4 innings
- Marcus Jensen: 1 runs on 4 hits with a strikeout in 4 innings