One night after suffering a tough loss, the Stone Crabs revenged the loss by shutting out the Tampa Yankees 5-0 on Thursday night at Steinbrenner Field. Stone Crabs starter Blake Snell led the way by tossing six shut-out frames in his second FSL start.
Both starters, Snell and Miguel Sulbaran for the Yankees dueled for five scoreless innings before the Stone Crabs reached the scoreboard.
The Stone Crabs broke the scoreless tie in the top of the sixth inning. Kes Carter singled to right to put a runner on the bases. He would not stay there long as Marty Gantt delivered an RBI triple to give the Stone Crabs a 1-0 lead.
The Stone Crabs increased their lead in the top of the seventh on a two run homer run, his ninth of the season, by Pat Leonard to give them a 3-0 lead.
The Stone Crabs added another run in the eighth inning. Julian Ridings scored on a throwing error by the Yankees catcher to increase the lead to 4-0.
The Stone Crabs picked up one final run in the ninth inning. Justin O’Conner doubled to center to lead off the inning. He would later score on a ground ball by Gantt to give the Stone Crabs the 5-0 margin of victory.
Snell evened his record to 1-1 by earning the win and Luis Cabrera earned the save. Brett Gerrritse was the losing pitcher for Tampa.
Game three of the series takes place Friday night at Steinbrenner Field in Tampa. The Stone Crabs send Austin Pruitt (3-1, 4.56) to mound to face Rafael De Paula (1-3, 4.18).
- Tommy Coyle (2B): 0 for 5
- Leonardo Reginatto (SS): 2 for 4 with a run scored
- Pat Leonard (1B): 3 for 5 with a two run homer
- Justin O’Conner (C): 2 for 5 with 2 doubles and a run scored
- Tyler Goeddel (3B): 0 for 4
- Kes Carter (CF): 2 for 4 with a run scored
- Marty Gantt (RF): 2 for 5 with 2 triple and an RBI
- Julian Ridings (LF): 1 for 5 with a run scored and stolen base
- Jake DePew (DH): 0 for 2
- Blake Snell (Win, 1-1): 6 shut-out innings with 4 hits, 3 strikeouts and 1 walk
- Luis Cabrera (Save, 1): 3 scoreless innings with 4 hits and 3 strikeouts