The Stone Crabs were unable to find a way to beat the league leading Dunedin Blue Jays as they lost 5-3 on a soggy Wednesday night at Charlotte Sports Park. The Stone Crabs have now lost three straight.
After sitting out a rain delay, the Dunedin offense picked right up where it left off yesterday by jumping out to a 2-0 lead in the second inning. Emilio Guerrero singled to left followed by a double by Kellen Sweeney. Dwight Smith singled home both runners to give the Blue Jays a 2-0 lead.
The Stone Crabs cut the lead in half in the bottom of the third inning. Back to back singled by Kes Carter and Tommy Coyle followed by a walk by Ben Zobrist loaded the bases for the Stone Crabs. Leonardo Reginatto drove home a run with a sac fly to score Carter and pull the Stone Crabs to within a run of Dunedin.
The Blue Jays pushed across two more runs in the fifth. Marcus Knecht and KC Hobson each picked up an RBI to increase the lead to 4-1.
The Stone Crabs added a run in the bottom of the sixth inning. Reginatto singled on a bunt and would later score on an RBI single by Josh Sale to make it 4-2.
Dunedin scored again in the ninth inning. Knecht doubled home Dalton Pompey to give the Blue Jays a 5-2 lead.
The Stone Crabs scored one more run in the final frame. They loaded the bases but only managed one run on a single by Reginatto to score Carter. The go ahead run was stranded on the bases as the Stone Crabs fell 5-3.
Leonel Santiago was chaged with the loss for the Stone Crabs. Kendall Graveman was the winning pitcher and Danny Barnes recorded the save.
The series continues on Thursday at Charlotte Sports Park. Blake Snell (0-0, 0.00) will be making his Stone Crabs debut opposite Taylor Cole (3-2, 2.58).
- Tommy Coyle (DH): 1 for 5
- Ben Zobrist (2B): 1 for 4 with walk
- Leonardo Reginatto (SS): 3 for 4 with 2 RBI’s and a run scored
- Pat Leonard (1B): 0 for 4
- Tyler Goeddel (3B): 1 for 3 with a double
- Justin O’Conner (C): 1 for 4 with a double
- Josh Sale (LF): 1 for 4 with an RBI
- Marty Gantt (RF): 0 for 4
- Kes Carter (CF): 1 for 3 with a walk and 2 runs scored
- Leonel Santiago (Loss, 1-5): 4 runs on 7 hits with 4 strikeouts and 2 walks in 4 1/3 innings
- Marcus Jensen: 3 2/3 shut-out innings with 2 strikeouts, a walk and 3 hits
- Ryan Garton: 1 run on 1 hit with a walk in 1 inning