The offense struggled to get anything going on Tuesday night as the Stone Crabs were shut-out by the Dunedin Blue Jays 7-0 at Charlotte Sports Park. Seven of the nine Stone Crabs hitters were hitless at the plate in the loss.
Dunedin wasted no time In jumping out to a lead, scoring in the opening frame. Dwight Smith drew a walk to lead off the inning. Smith advanced to third on a single by Dalton Pompey and later scored on a single by KC Hobson to take a 1-0 lead.
The Blue Jays added to their lead in the second on a solo homer by Kevin Patterson to go ahead 2-0.
Things got ugly in the sixth when three errors in the inning lead to four more Blue Jay runs. Christian Lopes singled to center. Dwight Smith then reached on a fielder’s choice to put runners at first and second. A fielding error by Leonardo Reginatto in a ground ball by Dalton Pompey allowed Lopes to score and moved Smith to third. Marcu Knecht then tripled to center, scoring Smith. Knecht would then score on an error by Justin O’Conner to give the Blue Jays a commanding 6-0 lead.
Dunedin would add one more run in the eighth on an RBI single by Knecht to score Smith and hand the Stone Crabs a 7-0 loss in the series opener.
Jeff Ames was charged with the loss and has fallen to 1-6 on the season. Daniel Norris was the winning pitcher for Dunedin.
The series continues on Wednesday night at Charlotte Sports Park. Leonel Santiago will start for the Stone Crabs against for Dunedin.
- Tyler Goeddel (3B): 0 for 3
- Tommy Coyle (2B): 1 for 4
- Leonardo Reginatto (SS): 3 for 4
- Pat Leonard (1B): 0 for 4
- Maxx Tissenbaum (DH): 0 for 3
- Justin O’Conner (C): 0 for 4
- Josh Sale (LF): 0 for 3
- Marty Gantt (RF): 0 for 3
- Kes Carter (CF): 0 for 3
- Jeff Ames (Loss, 1-6): 2 runs on 7 hits with 3 walks in 5 innings
- Nick Sawyer: 4 unearned runs on 2 hits with a strikeout
- Willie Gabay: 1 run on 2 hits with 2 walks and a strikeout in 3 innings