After dominating the Flying Tigers in the series opener last night, the Stone Crabs found themselves victim of a 9-4 loss at the hand of the Lakeland Flying Tigers on Wednesday night at Joker Marchant Stadium. The loss put the brakes on the Stone Crabs four game winning streak.
The Stone Crabs went right to work, loading the bases in the first inning. Andrew Toles walked followed by a single by Leonardo Reginatto and a walk to Josh Sale to load the bases. A bases loaded walk to Tommy Coyle scored Toles to give the Stone Crabs a 1-0 lead.
Lakeland tied the game in their half of the first. Chad Wright doubled ot right and later scored on a ground ball by Jeff McVaney to tie the game 1-1.
Lakeland took the lead in the second off a solo homer by James Robbins to give them a 2-1 lead.
The Flying Tigers broke the game open with a 6 run third inning. Jeff Ames was roughed up by giving up a two run homer to Curt Powell, a two run double to Austin Green and two more runs came off hits by Robbins and Jared Reaves to put the Stone Crabs in a seven run deficit.
Kevin Brandt made his return to the mound for the Stone Crabs in the sixth inning following his recent promotion to Montgomery. His return was cut short after he left the game with a leg injury but not before Brandt surrendered his first run of the season to extend the Lakeland lead to 9-1.
The Stone Crabs orchestrated a last minute rally in the top of the ninth inning. Coyle and Justin O’Conner delivered back to back singles to get the rally started. Maxx Tissenbaum singled home Coyle for the first run of the inning. O’Conner scored on a ground ball by Carter and Tissenbaum came home on an RBI single by Toles. But the rally fell short as the Stone Crabs lost 9-4.
Ames was charged with the loss for the Stone Crabs, he is now 1-5 on the season. Jake Thompson was the winning pitcher for Lakeland.
The series continues on Thursday night at Joker Marchant Stadium. Leonel Santiago (1-4, 9.20) will get the start for the Stone Crabs against Lakeland’s Josh Turley (3-0, 2.30).
- Andrew Toles (CF): 1 for 3 with an RBI and a run scored
- Leonardo Reginatto (SS): 2 for 3 with 2 walks
- Josh Sale (LF): 0 for 4
- Pat Leonard (1B): 0 for 4
- Tyler Goeddel (3B): 0 for 4
- Tommy Coyle (2B): 1 for 3 with an RBI and a run scored
- Justin O’Conner (C): 1 for 4 with a run scored
- Maxx Tissenbaum (DH): 2 for 4 with a run scored
- Kes Carter (RF): 2 for 4 with an RBI
- Jeff Ames (Loss, 1-5): 8 runs on 8 hits with 2 strikeouts and a walk in 5 innings
- Kevin Brandt: 1 run on 2 hits with a strikeout in 2/3 innings
- Ben Griset: 2 1/3 scoreless innings with a hit, strikeout and a walk