The Stone Crabs kept things close until the final third of the game when they gave up eight runs as they fell to the Bradenton Marauders 11-3 on Sunday afternoon. The loss was the third straight by the Stone Crabs to start off the season.
Bradenton jumped out to a four run lead in the first inning. They loaded the bases for Jonathan Schwind who went deep for a grand slam to give the Marauders a 4-0 lead.
The Stone Crabs answered with a home run of their own in the second inning. Pat Leonard struck a solo homer to left to put the Stone Crabs on the board.
Bradenton picked up another run in the second. Jeff Roy singled home Raul Fortunato to increase their lead to 5-1.
The Stone Crabs scored again in the fifth inning. Maxx Tissenbaum singled to left to lead off the inning. Then Marty Gantt was hit by a pitch to give the Stone Crabs two runners on the bases. Tyler Goeddel drove them home with a triple to center to pull the Stone Crabs within two runs.
But the Stone Crabs defense fell apart in the late innings as they surrendered a combined eight runs in the seventh and eighth innings to suffer an 11-3 defeat.
Austin Pruit was charged with the loss for the Stone Crabs while Orlando Castro picked up the win for the Marauders.
The Stone Crabs will get a much needed day off on Monday to regroup before heading to Fort Myers to face the division leading Fort Myers Miracle. Leonel Santiago will make his debut against Mason Melotakis Fort Myers (0-0, 18.00).
- Andrew Toles (CF): 1 for 3
- Tommy Coyle (2B): 0 for 4
- Leonardo Reginatto (SS): 0 for 2 with 2 walks
- Justin O’Conner (DH): 0 for 4
- Pat Leonard (1B): 1 for 4 with a solo homer
- Maxx Tissenbaum (C): 1 for 4 with a run scored
- Marty Gantt (LF): 1 for 3 with a run scored
- Kes Carter (RF): 1 for 4
- Tyler Goeddel (3B): 1 for 3 with a triple and 2 RBI’s
- Austin Pruitt (Loss, 0-1): 5 runs on 5 hits with a strikeout and 3 walks in 3 innings
- Marcus Jensen: 3 no hit innings with a strikeout and a walk
- Nick Sawyer: 1/3 inning with 3 walks
- Kevin Brandt: 2/3 innings with 1 hit and 1 walk
- Parker Markel: 4 runs on 3 hits with 2 strikeouts and a walk in 1 inning