The postgame fireworks display was about all the Stone Crabs fans had to celebrate Friday night as the Stone Crabs were pummeled by the Bradenton Marauders 9-1. A total of five errors by the Stone Crabs defense combined with 18 hits by the Marauders led to the Stone Crabs first loss of the season.
The Marauders took advantage of two errors by the Stone Crabs in the first inning to take a lead and never look back. Jeff Roy singled to lead off the inning. Adam Frazier then single to center, an error by Andrew Toles and another by Jake Depew led to both Roy and Frazier scoring and put the Stone Crabs in an early 2-0 deficit.
Bradenton jumped all over the Stone Crabs starter Reinaldo Lopez in the top of the third inning. They pushed across five more runs in the inning to take a commanding 7-0 lead.
But the Marauders offense wasn’t done as they struck for another run in the fourth. Max Moroff tripled to lead off the inning and later scored on a ground out by Fraizer to increase the lead to 8-0.
The Stone Crabs finally reached the scoreboard in the bottom of the seventh inning. A sharp hit single by DH Maxx Tissenbaum deflected of the Marauder’s second baseman and landed in center field. Then Josh Sale continued where he left off last night, driving home runs as he brought home Tissenbaum with an RBI single to put the Stone Crabs on the board.
Bradenton scored again in the eighth. Jose Osuna drove home Ashley Ponce to give the Marauders a 9-1 lead.
The Stone Crabs were held scoreless through the remainder of the game as they fell 9-1. Reinaldo Lopez was charged with the loss for the Stone Crabs while Chad Kuhl was the winner for Bradenton.
The series shifts to McKechnie Field for the final two games of the series. The Stone Crabs put first round draft pick Jeff Ames on the mound to face John Kuchno for Bradenton. First pitch is scheduled for 6:30 in Bradenton.
- Andrew Toles (CF): 0 for 4
- Tommy Coyle (2B): 1 for 4
- Leonardo Reginatto (SS): 1 for 4
- Kes Carter (RF): 0 for 3
- Hector Guevara (3B): 0 for 4
- Maxx Tissenbaum (DH): 1 for 4 with a run scored
- Pat Leonard (1B): 0 for 3
- Josh Sale (LF): 1 for 3 with an RBI
- Jake DePew (C): 1 for 3
- Reinaldo Lopez: 7 runs on 10 hits with a strikeout and a walk in 2 2/3 innings
- Bruedlin Suero: 1 run on 6 hits with 2 strikeouts in 3 innings
- Jose Molina: 1 run on 2 hits with 2 strikeouts and a walk in 2 1/3 innings
- Parker Markel: 1 no-hit inning with a strikeout