The Stone Crabs overcame an early deficit to open the 2014 season with a win as they defeated the Bradenton Marauders 5-4 at Charlotte Sports Park. Every member of the Stone Crabs batting lineup reached base in the win.
Josh Sale returned to professional baseball in a big way. leading the offense by picking up two hits and collecting 3 RBI’s on the night
The Bradenton Marauders took an early lead in the third inning when designator hitter Jordan Steranka went deep to the baseball boardwalk on a solo homer to give the Marauders a 1-0 lead.
Bradenton added to their lead in the top of the fifth inning. Josh Bell singled home Adam Frazier. Then scored on an errant throw by Justin O’Conner to give the Marauders a 3-0 lead.
The Stone Crabs got their first run of the 2014 season in the bottom of the fifth inning. Pat Leonard led off the inning with a double. Then Josh Sale drove the ball down the line for an RBI double, scoring Leonard. Sale would later score on a single by Tommy Coyle to pull the Stone Crabs within a run of the lead.
Bradenton extended their lead in the sixth. Walker Gourley drew a walk then stole second and advanced to third on a throwing error by O’Conner. Gourley then scored on wild pitch to increase their lead to 4-2.
But the Stone Crabs bounced back in the bottom of the sixth. Kes Carter opened the frame with a walk. O’Conner followed with a single to put two runners aboard. Both runners advanced a spot on the bases following wild pitch. Then Sale delivered again, this time a two run single up the middle to tie the game 4-4.
The Stone Crabs took their first lead of the night in the bottom of the eighth inning. Maxx Tissenbaum led of the inning with a single to right. Pat Leonard reached on an error, with Tissenbaum advancing to third. Tissenbaum would later score on a wild pitch to give the Stone Crabs the lead 5-4.
Kevin Brandt came on in the ninth to save the game for the Stone Crabs and pick up his first career save and give the Stone Crabs the win 5-4.
Marcus Jensen picked up the win for the Stone Crabs and Robby Rowland was charged with the loss for the Marauders.
Both clubs are back out at Charlotte Sports Park for game two of the four game series on Friday. Reinaldo Lopez will get the start for the Stone Crabs opposite Chad Kuhl for Bradenton.
- Andrew Toles (CF): 1 for 5 with a double
- Tommy Coyle (2B): 1 for 3 with an RBI
- Leonardo Reginatto (SS): 0 for 2 with a walk
- Kes Carter (RF): 0 for 2 with 2 walks and a run scored
- Justin O’Conner (C): 1 for 4 with a run scored
- Maxx Tissenbaum (DH): 1 for 4 with a run scored
- Pat Leonard (1B): 1 for 3 with a double, a walk and a run scored
- Josh Sale (LF): 2 for 4 with a double, 3 RBI’s and a run scored
- Tyler Goeddel (3B): 1 for 4
- Roberto Gomez: 3 runs, 2 earned on 7 hits with 4 strikeout and 3 walks in 5 innings
- Nick Sawyer: no hits, 1 unearned run, 1 strikeout and 4 walks in 1 inning
- Marcus Jensen (Win, 1-0): 2 scoreless innings with 2 hits and a strikeout
- Kevin Brandt (Save, 1): 1 scoreless inning with a hit and a strikeout