The Charlotte Stone Crabs squad and fans watched as the Daytona Cubs celebrated their championship victory on Monday night’s conclusion to the 2013 postseason. The Stone Crabs could not muster an offensive effort against C.J. Edwards and Ryan Searle – the team was blanked and held to a mere one hit. The final score was 4-0.
Dylan Floro took the mound for Charlotte and allowed two earned runs (three total) in six innings of work. He was not aided by his defense, who committed three errors. Two of them came on the same play when Jonathan Quinonez misread a fly ball single from Chadd Krist and then overthrew the ball to home plate, resulting in the unearned run on Floro’s line. Floro would take the loss.
Daytona plated their fourth off Lenny Linsky in the ninth, an insurance run that would prove unnecessary for the victory. Charlotte mustered only one hit, coming in the fourth inning as Jake Hager lead off with a single. The final out of the game was recorded on a 4-3 groundout by Jake Hager. Edwards, the night’s winner, and his successor Searle otherwise combined for four strikeouts and two walks.
The Stone Crabs finished off the postseason at an even 3-3, and will wear the crown of FSL South Division Champions into the upcoming 2014 season. Several players will participate in the fall instructional leagues, and a few will head in October to Arizona for the prestigious Arizona Fall League.
- Willie Argo (CF): 0 for 4
- Jake Hager (SS): 1 for 4
- Drew Vettleson (RF): 0 for 3
- Richie Shaffer (3B): 0 for 3
- Jeff Malm (1B): 0 for 3
- Alejandro Segovia (DH): 0 for 2 with a walk
- Hector Guevara (2B): 0 for 3
- Jake DePew (C): 0 for 2 with a walk
- Jonathan Quinonez (LF): 0 for 2
- Kes Carter (PH): 0 for 1
- Dylan Floro (L, 0-1): 3 runs (2 earned) off 7 hits, a walk, and 6 strikeouts in 6 innings
- Andrew Bellatti: 2 scoreless innings with 2 hits
- Lenny Linsky: 1 run (unearned) off 2 hits and a strikeout in 1 inning