The Stone Crabs were shut-out 5-0 by the Daytona Cubs in Game One of the Florida State League Championship Series on Thursday night at Jackie Robinson Ballpark.
Daytona jumped out to an early lead by scoring in the first inning. Pin-Chieh Chen singled to left to lead off the bottom half of the inning and then advanced to third on a double by Zeke DeVoss. Dustin Geiger singled home Chen to give the Cubs a 1-0 lead.
The Cubs added to their lead an inning later. Anthony Giansanti doubled to center to lead off the inning. Wes Darvill then reached on a strike three wild pitch which moved Giansanti to third. A walk to Elliot Soto would load the bases for the Cubs. Chen then picked up his second hit of the ballgame, a bases clearing double to increase the Daytona lead to 4-0.
Daytona scored again in the fourth. Geiger hit an RBI double to score DeVoss and give them a 5-0 lead.
The Stone Crabs were held off the scoreboard the remainder of the night as they fell 5-0 in the series opener.
Jesse Hahn was charged with the loss for the Stone Crabs. Pierce Johnson was the winning pitcher for Daytona.
The FSL Championship Series continues with Game Two at Jackie Robinson Field on Friday. Grayson Garvin will be on the hill for the Stone Crabs opposite Ivan Pineyro for Daytona.
- Willie Argo (LF): 0 for 4
- Jake Hager (SS): 3 for 4
- Drew Vettleson (RF): 1 for 4
- Richie Shaffer (3B): 1 for 4
- Jeff Malm (1B): 2 for 4 with a double
- Alejandro Segovia (DH): 0 for 3
- Hector Guevara (2B): 1 for3
- Jake DePew (C): 1 for 3
- Kes Carter (CF): 0 for 4
- Jesse Hahn (Loss, 0-1): 4 runs on 4 hits with 4 strikeouts and 2 walks in 1 1/3 innings
- Jared Mortensen: 1 runs on 4 hits with 6 strikeouts and 2 walks in 4 2/3 innings
- Matt Ramsey: 1 shut-out inning with a hit and a strikeout
- Luis Cabrera: no runs on 1 hit in 1 inning