For the third time in five years, the Stone Crabs will be making a trip to the Florida State League Championship Series. The Stone Crabs beat the Fort Myers Miracle 2-1 on Wednesday night at Hammond Stadium to sweep the Divisional Series.
The game was an exciting pitching duel with Stone Crabs starter Dylan Floro and Miracle starter Taylor Rodgers keep both offenses at bay for the entire game.
It wasn’t until the tenth inning that either offense would reach the scoreboard. The Stone Crabs took advantage of the Miracle pitching change to finally put some runs on the board. Richie Shaffer singled to left and followed by a walk to Alejandro Segovia. A sac bunt by Hector Guevara moved both runners into scoring position. Both runners would score on two separate wild pitches to give the Stone Crabs 2-0 lead.
The Miracle were not going to give up easily as they rallied in the bottom of the ninth. Matt Koch singled to lead off the inning and advanced around the bases on a wild pitch and a ground out. Koch then scored on a ground out by Adam Pettersen to cut the lead in half. But Nate Garcia rallied to get the final out of the inning to secure the Stone Crabs victory.
Jake Partridge picked up the win and Garcia picked up his second save in as many nights.
The Stone Crabs advance to the Florida State League Championship series to face the Daytona Cubs. The best of five series begins on Thursday night in Daytona.
- Taylor Motter (RF-LF): 0 for 5
- Jonathan Quinonez (LF): 0 for 3
- Drew Vettleson (RF): 1 for 1
- Willie Argo (CF): 1 for 4
- Richie Shaffer (3B): 1 for 4 with a run scored and a stolen base
- Alejandro Segovia (DH): 0 for 2
- Kes Carter (PR-DH): pinch ran for Segovia in the 10th, scored
- Hector Guevara (2B): 0 for 2
- Jeff Malm (1B): 0 for 3
- Jake DePew (C): 1 for 4
- Jake Hager (SS): 0 for 3
- Dylan Floro: 8 shut-out innings with 5 hits, 3 strikeouts and a walk
- Jake Partridge (Win, 1-0): 1 no-hit inning with a strikeout and a walk
- Nate Garcia (Save, 2): 1 run on 1 hit in 1 inning