The Stone Crabs flaunted their pitching arms once again in game one of the FSL South divisional playoffs. After the introduction of each team’s entire roster, a trio of Charlotte pitchers went forward to combine for a three-hit shutout against the dangerous Miracle offense. Fort Myers’ staff itself kept Charlotte at only one run, but that was enough for the win.
Felipe Rivero put up another sparkling outing, throwing 90 pitches over six innings and limiting the Miracle to a mere five baserunners. The southpaw struck out two and currently holds a flawless post-season ERA, earning the win in the process.
Andrew Bellatti and Nate Garcia fed off of Rivero’s quality throwing. Bellatti entered in the seventh and worked two perfect innings, striking out one. Nate Garcia served once again as the closer in the ninth, and permitted a hit to Byron Buxton before coaxing a fly-out from Kennys Vargas to notch the save.
Jeff Malm was the offensive hero for the Stone Crabs. Malm smacked a pitch from Matt Summers into right field, allowing Jake Hager to score from second. Summers pitched six strong innings himself, but would be tagged with the loss.
The Stone Crabs now hold a 1-0 advantage over Fort Myers in the best-of-three series. They head to Fort Myers for Wednesday’s 7:05 game, sending Dylan Floro to the mound.
- Willie Argo (LF): 1 for 4
- Jake Hager (SS): 0 for 4 with a run scored
- Drew Vettleson (RF): 2 for 4
- Richie Shaffer (3B): 1 for 4
- Jeff Malm (1B): 1 for 2 with a walk and an RBI
- Alejandro Segovia (DH): 1 for 3
- Hector Guevara (2B): 0 for 3
- Jake DePew (C): 0 for 3
- Kes Carter (CF): 0 for 3
- Felipe Rivero (W, 1-0): 6 shutout innings with 2 hits, 3 walks, and 2 strikeouts
- Andrew Bellatti: 2 perfect innings with a strikeout
- Nate Garcia (S, 1): a hit and 2 strikeouts in 1 inning