The fireworks after Friday’s game against the Palm Beach Cardinals did not, unfortunately, cap off a Stone Crabs win in the home finale. A late rally by the Cardinals created a deficit that the Stone Crabs offense could not overcome, thereby causing a 4-1 loss.
The top of the eighth proved to be the deciding half frame. Luis Cabrera, recently promoted from the Princeton Rays, would be the losing pitcher (0-1) after his shaky three-inning debut. Jake Wilson doubled to lead off the inning, and would score on a Nick Longmire sacrifice bunt. Jesus Montero would gain two RBIs on his own with a single to plate Jonathan Rodriguez and Anthony Garcia.
Beforehand, Dylan Floro pitched another quality game. He surrendered one earned run over six innings, walking his first two batters since joining the Florida State League and fanning out four.
The Cardinals’ pitching staff stumped the Charlotte’s bats. Sam Gaviglio breezed through eight innings, permitting only one run via an Alejandro Segovia ground out, and five hits overall. Gaviglio would earn the win (4-1) and Ronnie Shaban the save (18) after the latter closed out the ninth.
The Stone Crabs finish up the regular season with two games at Roger Dean Stadium against the Palm Beach Cardinals. Saturday evening’s game is scheduled for 6:30, with Ryan Carpenter scheduled for the start.
- Willie Argo (LF): 1 for 4 with a run scored
- Taylor Motter (3B): 1 for 4
- Drew Vettleson (RF): 0 for 4
- Alejandro Segovia (1B): 0 for 4 with an RBI
- Jeff Malm (DH): 0 for 4
- Hector Guevara (2B): 1 for 3
- Kes Carter (CF): 1 for 3
- Luke Bailey (C): 0 for 3
- Jonathan Quinonez (3B): 1 for 3
- Dylan Floro: 1 run off 3 hits, 2 walks, and 4 strikeouts in 6 innings
- Luis Cabrera (L, 0-1): 3 runs off 5 hits, 4 walks, and 5 strikeouts in 3 innings