Despite getting two homers off the bat of Willie Argo, the Stone Crabs could not generate any more runs as they fell to the St Lucie Mets for the second straight night.
The Stone Crabs jumped out to an early lead in the first inning when Willie Argo went deep for a solo homer to give the Stone Crabs a 1-0 lead.
St Lucie answered by matching the run and adding another in the bottom of the first inning. Jayce Boyd and Rylan Sandoval each drove home a run to give the Mets a 2-1 lead.
The Mets added two more runs in the second inning. TJ RIvera and Kevin Plawecki drove home a run to extend the lead to 4-1.
The Stone Crabs cut the lead in half by scoring again in the sixth inning via a long ball. Argo went deep for the second time tonight to pull within two runs of the lead.
The Stone Crabs found themselves in a jam in the bottom of the eighth as the Mets loaded the bases win one out in the inning. But Jared Mortensen rallied to strike out the final two hitters of the inning to leave the bases loaded and avoid a deeper hole.
The Stone Crabs couldn’t get any more runs in the ninth as they fell to the Mets. Grayson Garvin was charged with the loss. Angel Cuan picked up the win and TJ Chism the save for St Lucie.
The series concludes on Wednesday night at Tradition Field. Jake Partridge will be on the hill in the series finale against Hansel Robles of St Lucie.
- Taylor Motter (LF): 2 for 4
- Jake Hager (SS): 0 for 3
- Willie Argo (CF): 2 for 4 with 2 solo homers
- Richie Shaffer (DH): 0 for 2
- Alejandro Segovia (1B): 0 for 3
- Drew Vettleson (RF): 0 for 4
- Hector Guevara (2B): 1 for 3
- Jake DePew (C): 0 for 4
- Jonathan Quinonez (3B): 1 for 2 with a double
- Grayson Garvin: 4 unearned runs on 4 hits with a strikeout and a walk in 3 2/3 innings
- Jared Mortensen: 4 1/3 scoreless innings with 7 strikeouts