The Stone Crabs gave up a little ground in the race for the postseason following a 5-2 loss to the St Lucie Mets on Monday night at Tradition Field. After bouncing back from an early deficit, it was a late game rally that would doom the Stone Crabs.
The Stone Crabs found themselves in the hole early as St Lucie struck for two runs in the bottom of the first inning. TJ Rivera tagged Ryan Carpenter for a two run homer to give the Mets a 2-0 lead.
But the Stone Crabs wouldn’t stay down long as they struck for two runs of their own in the top of the second. Hector Guevara reached on an error, Luke Bailey reached on fielder’s choice and a single by Kes Carter loaded the bases for the Stone Crabs with no outs. Willy Argo grounded into a force out, scoring Guevara but losing Carter at second. Drew Vettleson then singled home Bailey to tie the game 2-2.
The game would remained tied until the bottom of the eighth when the Mets struck for three runs to take the lead. Dustin Lawley drove home two runs with a double to left and later scored on an RBI single by Ryland Sandoval to give the Mets a 5-2 win.
The Stone Crabs couldn’t recover in the ninth as they fell 5-2.
Andrew Bellatti was charged with the loss for the Stone Crabs.
The series continues on Tuesday night at Tradition Field.
- Willie Argo (LF): 1 for 4 with an RBI and 2 stolen bases
- Jake Hager (SS): 0 for 4 with a walk
- Drew Vettleson (RF): 1 for 3 with a stolen base
- Richie Shaffer (3B): 0 for 4
- Alejandro Segovia (DH): 0 for 3 with a walk
- Jeff Malm (1B): 0 for 3
- Hector Guevara (2B):0 for 4 with a run scored
- Luke Bailey (C): 0 for 4 with a run scored
- Kes Carter (CF): 2 for 4 with a double
- Ryan Carpenter: 2 runs on 3 hits with 2 strikeouts and 2 walks in 3 innings
- Andrew Bellatti (Loss, 6-3): 3 runs on 3 hits with 2 walks in 5 innings